Wish Upon A Dish: Cranberry-Cinnamon Scones

March 23, 2010

Cranberry-Cinnamon Scones

I don't bake. I mean, I can bake a standard cake or a wonderful cheesecake but I'm not good with scones. Hubby loves scones. I have tried making them 7-8 times and even I wouldn't eat them. I tried the test kitchen no fail scone recipe. It failed....miserably.

Today is the day I take my time and really do it right. I am determined.



I had to combine 2 recipes because I did not have any buttermilk. I found 2 I liked and combined them for this recipe:

* 2 cups AP flour
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 stick (1/2 cup) very cold butter, cut into small dice
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* 1 large egg
* 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
* 1 tbls cinnamon

I used the standard biscuit technique. Dry in Kitchen Aid bowl, add butter, using the paddle attachment, run until small pea-sized....add cream and egg (beaten together in a small bowl).
Once it becomes sandy I stop the blender, scrape down the sides, blend again for 3 seconds, stop and pinch between your fingers. If it stays together like damp dirt it's done. Dump onto a wooden board or marble slab and shape into a 9" round (will be about 1 1/2" thick).
Cut into 6 or 8 wedges (I did 6 because he takes them to work and only needs 5, that leaves one for the baker). Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment and brush cream on top for browning (If you want you can sprinkle Demarara sugar to the top for extra sweetness and crunch but hubby doesn't like them sweet). Bake at 425F for 15-17 mins.

Wha la!!
Hubby pronounced them better then Panera Bread's cinnamon scones.

Now that's a compliment. I have a feeling I will be making these every Sunday, but with different flavorings. Next week he wants blueberry and lemon.

No comments :