Wish Upon A Dish: Osso Buco over Baked Polenta

March 1, 2010

Osso Buco over Baked Polenta


Tonight it's a table for two. No doggy bags.
I purchased veal shanks from my butcher because I haven't had Osso Bucco in ages. The Nudge isn't a fan of braised dishes and I haven't figured out why. I just gave up and make a few here and there.

I do not follow a recipe for this dish because I know it by heart. If you will be making 4 servings just double the amounts. The cooking time will be the same.

I served mine over baked polenta that baked along with the veal.

Here's how I did it........

Coat 2 veal shanks (about 4oz each) with flour and saute in heavy bottomed pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until a crust forms on both sides (4 mins each side).


Remove veal to a dish.
In same pan, add another tablespoon olive oil and in that, saute 1/2 a small chopped onion, 1 grated carrot and 2 cloves of minced garlic until soft and browned.
Add veal back to vegetable mixture along with 1/2 cup white wine. Simmer until it reduces by half.

Add 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes, 1 bay leaf, 3 strips of orange peel, 1 tablespoon tomato juice, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 large sprig of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and enough chicken broth to cover meat.

Place in 325° oven for 2 hours.

While that is baking, prepare the polenta.
Stir 1/3 cup polenta grind cornmeal, 2/3 cup of milk, 2/3 cup of water, 1 tablespoon honey, salt & pepper.
Cover tighly with foil and place in oven once veal has baked for 1 hour.

Remove the veal, place on a platter and strain out the sauce.
Remove the polenta, stir in a handful of parmesan cheese and spoon into the bottom of each serving bowl.

Place one shank on top of polenta and spoon sauce over.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :