Wish Upon A Dish: Banana Spit Sauced Shrimp

May 9, 2010

Banana Spit Sauced Shrimp

We celebrate all the Sunday and Hallmark holidays on Saturday now because everyone has to travel far to meet in one central place, that being the home of my Sister-in-Law who lives in East Stroudsburg, PA. and it's hard to eat and drink and then drive and go to sleep early for work the next day. Saturday's finally made more sense. Only took them 10 years to realize that.


My sister-in-law has had diabetes for 10 years now. She's past the medicine point and onto the shots. It is because of her that I am adamant to maintain the 100 or so level of sugar and not spike over 165. I refuse to shoot anything into my body if I can prevent it.

Last year she was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer and after the usual hysterectomy she underwent 6 treatments of chemo.

I saw the Cook for the Cure products on the Kitchen Aide site about 6months ago and wanted to order the Pass the Plate and start a platter traveling all over, with a prepared dish, to where ever it goes for a donation of $5.00 to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation each time it was registered.....but they were out of stock.

I forgot about it and then saw a article from an old magazine I was cutting out things I wanted to file and checked again. This time I had success and it arrived in 2 days. I almost wanted to keep it for myself, it is such a pretty platter but that would defeat the reason for buying it, so yesterday the perfect opportunity arose with our Mother's Day celebration. I had to develop a recipe for a cooking contest and I needed taste testers...............you can guess the rest.

I made the recipe Diabetic Friendly so it served 2 purposes.


Recipe
Shrimp (at least 1 pound) depending on the number of guests
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce (Goya food section - canned)
3/4 cup OJ
1/4 cup lime juice (1 lime)
1/4 cup roughly chopped red pepper (1/4 pepper)
2 tbls roughly chopped red onion (1/4 small red onion)
1 garlic clove
3/4 cup Banana Liquor
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp 5-spice powder
1 tbls ground ginger
1 tbls dry mustard (Colemans)
1 tbls brown mustard
10 mint leaves

Place everything in a blender and blend till smooth.
Place in sauce pan and simmer for 20 mins on med-high to thicken.
Marinade with shrimp for 1 hour and baste with sauce while on grill. If using as a dipping sauce simmer till thickened to sauce consistency.

Both were a big hit and I felt pretty good. I don't think I will win the food contest but I certainly feel like I won the "support for a good cause" opportunity.

I just can't seem to get a handle on what it takes to make a recipe make it to the finals.

No comments :