Wish Upon A Dish: No Falafel No More

May 24, 2010

No Falafel No More

Hubby is off on another trip so I get to play in the kitchen today!
I seem to be like others, all having a list of "To Do Recipes". I not only have a list I have a stack of cut out magazine pages to scan and file for future meals.
I do have to start a baby shower plate today but once I get the outline on I have to let it dry for 24hrs so that's when I cook.

Today's DO recipe is...........falafel. I have never had a falafel. I have never been close to a falafel. I love chickpeas, I have never had hummus either.
So, what's wrong with me, huh?

We are not noshers in this house. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I like guacamole either.............duh.
I have had it in things (burritos, fajitas, etc) had it under things (cakes, fritters, stuffed chilies, etc.) but I have never just dipped a chip in it.
Same with salsa. No chips, no dips. Salsa in this house is for toppings (eggs, tacos, enchiladas, all things Tex and Mex) along with sour cream.

So I guess if we were noshers we would have all sorts of dippy things in the house.

I have been collecting falafel recipes from various sources (Internet, magazines)in preparation for the big day.
Did I just type in BIG DAY?
That's weird even for me.
Current front winner recipe is for Crabby Falafel Sliders.
Yes, crab and chick peas, on a small potato roll, topped with tomato, basil and a mean, spicy, wonderful harissa mayonnaise, what's not to like? I think this is a good starter.

--------------------------------------------

I brought 1/2 cup dried garbanzos to a boil with bay leaves and salt. Yes, salt. I am not cooking them, I am soaking them. Test Kitchen says you should soak them in salted water. I will add salt without toughening them. It also helps to stop the skins from wrinkling if you are cooking them to serve whole. Since I am going to puree them I only want the salted flavoring.


I read in a recipe from Food Network that using soaked beans (not cooked) is better than using canned.The moisture level would be way down and since you will be cooking the mixture, you don't need to cook the beans for hours, just re-moisturize them.
Makes sense to me, that's why I am doing only the quick soak method.






Crabby Falafel 'Sliders'
1 cup soaked dried chick peas
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 scallions, roughly chopped
1 large clove garlic
Juice from 1 lemon and it's zest
1 tsp white wine
2 tbls Tahini
1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
2 tbls flour
1 can crabmeat, drained
Salt & Pepper to taste
Martin's Slider Potato Rolls


Harissa Mayonnaise
3 tabls low fat mayonnaise
1 tsp adobo sauce
I drop Harissa paste (more if you're daring)

These were excellent. Crunchy crust on the outside, moist and flavorful on the inside and the mayonnaise is perfect with the creaminess & heat.
I now really like Falafels. I will make these again.
Perfect for a Diabetic.

No comments :