Wish Upon A Dish: Souffles

May 12, 2010

Souffles

I know you shouldn't bake on a rainy day but does the same old wives tale mean the same to a souffle? I have to guess "NO" because you want the moisture, don't they suggest you use a water bath on occasion? Yes, they do.
I have been trying to find a low fat recipe or more to the point....diabetic friendly recipe because once I do you can bettcha I will be making these more often.
I love fluffy foods.....hubby, well, he's on board with this idea as much as he is with fish.
I did make Ina's Bleu Cheese Souffle and it really came out great but was too much cheese for me. I probably should have made a salad with it, or a side of sauteed greens to balance out the bleu cheese but we had it solo.
This time I'm using the greens as the flavoring agent. I know the calendar says asparagus but the money-hungry Shop-Rite decided that for Mother's Day shoppers they would up the price of asparagus to $.50 more a pound then last week and I honestly could not buy it. Since I won't do frozen asparagus I decided that the spinach looked good and that was the way to go.

Spinach and Gruyere Cheese Souffles
Makes 1-16oz souffle and 2-6oz ramekins, 1 quart-sized souffle or 4-6oz ramekins

* 1/2 pound fresh spinach, washed and torn into pieces
* 3 scallions, green & whites cut in 1" pieces
* 1 tbls whole wheat flour
* 2oz low fat cream cheese
* 1 tbls creme fraiche
* 1 tbls agave nectar
* salt & pepper to taste
* pinch of fresh nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
* 4 basil leaves
* 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese
* 2 egg yolks
* 2 tbls white wine
* 1 tbls butter
* 1 tsp roasted garlic olive oil (Rick Bayless' Mojo)
* Almond Milk for thinning if needed
* 4 egg whites
* 1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Release spray
Fine bread crumbs for preparing pans.
 


1. Saute spinach in butter. Remove to processor.
2. Saute green onions in garlic olive oil. Deglaze with wine. Use a spatula to remove to processor.
3. Add everything else except last 4 ingredients to processor.
Process until smooth, season highly and remove to plastic container and refrigerate till ready to bake.
4. Leave egg whites out to room temperature.
5. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt till soft peaks and fold by 3rds into spinach mix. If too thick use almond milk to thin. Should be the consistency of waffle mix.
6. Spray pans and coat with breadcrumbs.
7. Bake 16oz souffle for 35-40 mins.
8. Put the ramekins in a 9x9 baking pan, fill with hot water halfway up sides of ramekins and bake 25 mins.


 Exchanges (per serving): 2 meat, 1 starch, 2 veg, 1 1/2 fat

Pin It


1 comment :

Unknown said...

Dear Susan,

Thank You for entering the Bake Up Summer Sweets Contest. I hope you are given the opportunity to own a new KitchenAid mixer so you can whip up your mint chocolate chip cheesecake recipe with ease.
Thank You and Good Luck!
The Beso Team
Beso.com