Wish Upon A Dish: THE very best, easiest homemade Hamburger Buns !!!

June 15, 2010

THE very best, easiest homemade Hamburger Buns !!!

Today is the perfect day to make dough so since Hamburgers are on the menu and tomorrow it is going to rain, guess what I'm making?














Adapted from Saveur.com

* 2 1/4 tsp Instant Yeast
* 1 1/3 cups warm milk (105-120 degrees)
* 1 1/2 tsp Agave Nectar
* 4 cups AP flour
* 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
* 1 egg, beated
* 4 tbls unsalted butter, softened
* 3 tsp sesame seeds (optional)

In a bowl fitted with hook, mix flour, nectar, salt, egg and butter till blended.
Into milk add yeast to proof. When foamy add to mixer and on medium speed (about a 4) mix for at least 8 minutes. Depending on the day, you may need more flour.
I always reserve 1/4 cup to make sure. It's easier to add flour than more liquid.

Cover and let rise 2 hours. Punch down and cut into 12 pieces.
Shape into balls and let rise another 30 minutes.
Place on parchment-lined sheet pan and brush egg wash on tops.
I pressed down on the tops with my fingers so that they would not be so poofy (round).
Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes.
Remove and cool completely.


It is a very elastic puffy dough so I imagine the rolls will be soft. I also like when they add butter to it like a brioche, makes it buttery......lol.

It took only 1 hour to rise outside in the sun.
I weighed them out at 4 oz each which gave me 9 rolls instead of 12.
I want them bigger then the usual.
I guess if I made them 3oz each that would be more in line for a standard 1/4 burger.
I'm making 1/3 pound burgers.....so there.



I let them rise again for 30 minutes, brushed egg over the tops, set the oven to 400F and when pre-heated will bake them for 18-20 minutes.


First 5 buns, there are 4 more in the oven.

I am dying to cut into one to see the inside but I'm trying to practice patience with my baking, you can't rush dough. It needs to cool completely. It doesn't form a good crumb with you cut into it warm. You can always reheat them in the oven or tonight, the grill.
I will give my neighbors 4 of them because they don't keep more than 2 days and I throw more homemade bread away then I care to count.

I highly recommend making these buns, not just for hamburgers, I shaped one into a hoagie-style bun and am eating a sandwich of sliced chicken with it and it's really good.

I can see using these for a Italian Beef Sandwich, also.

No comments :