Wish Upon A Dish: 23 Year Old Banana Bread Recipe

December 21, 2010

23 Year Old Banana Bread Recipe

Twenty years ago there was nothing writen about cholesterol as it is today, nothing about Diabetes or High Blood Pressure. Let's face it folks, 20 years ago there was no Internet...

WHAT?, you say.......nah, really?

No way, wait.....

Maybe you're right......no, has it really been only that short of a time? Didn't we have computers back then?

Yes, dummy, we had computers..........but no WORLD WIDE WEB.

Information was gotten the old fashioned way....


Off the TV

NOW, back to the subject at hand.

Recipes written over 20 years ago were still full of shortening and butter and real sugar and real eggs and all the stuff that made a recipe wonderful.

I am not saying that healthy recipes can't taste good. I built this whole blog around that theme, but old timey fashioned recipes had....

MEMORIES

I can not remember the last time I ate a gluten free pancake and looked off in that far away place to a time I remember when my Mom made something exactly like it.

I do think that unless the cooks of today pass down the recipes of yesteryear, that gluten free pancake will become the norm and the kids of tomorrow will not have recipes that give them fond memories of times past.

What a sin.

I am glad to see a resurgence of cookbooks dedicted to Mom's & Grandmom's cooking.
Look at Thomas Keller. His newest phenom cookbook is about old fashioned cooking.

I think that deep down inside, even for one day a year, everyone craves that dish that takes them back to a time in their life that they know will never exist again.

So...................

After all is said and done, it comes down to a 23 year old recipe for the bestest, most decadent, moist and dense banana bread you will ever eat.

Banana Bread
Adapted from Woman's Day - 1987
Makes 1 loaf, 18 slices

* 1 3/4 cup AP flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, softened in the microwave
* 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 eggs
* 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk or yogurt
* 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed

Mix all ingredients and pour into a sprayed loaf pan.
Bake 325 degrees for 1 hour 10 minutes.

I have made this with all the "healthy" adjustments.

Healthy Banana Bread
* 1 3/4 cup flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup apple butter
* 1/4 cup butter spread
* 1 cup Splenda No Calorie
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup egg beaters
* 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk or no fat Greek yogurt
* 2 medium bananas, mashed

One toasted slice of this bread, topped with gooey peanut butter, is one of the best breakfast on the run that you can eat.


I am making 2 loaves, one healthy for my Dad and one original but with Splenda for me. I will slice and wrap my Dad's so he can freeze the slices and toast them right before eating.

Yes, I am a good daughter.

No comments :