Wish Upon A Dish: Cheesecakes Baked in a Cookie Tin

December 23, 2010

Cheesecakes Baked in a Cookie Tin

I give everyone cheesecakes for Christmas.
No, not the large 12" kind.
OMG, you trying to kill me?
The small Juniors-sized 6" kind.

Phew!! That was close. For a minute there I thought I would be making cheesecakes from now until Friday.

I make one BIG batch of filling and can bake 6 of them on one rack in the oven.

Let's see......my in-laws usually get 3, my neighbors...2, The Nudge's office buddy gets 1 and I have to make one for us too!
I will make one for my Dad and his lady friend to be delivered after Christmas.

Every year there is a different flavor. Last year was mint chocolate chip (everyone raved on that one), coffee the year before, chocolate swirl, pumpkin (an old favorite I used to sell as a caterer) and butterscotch swirl.

This year The Nudge has requested an old fav....Bailey's Irish Creme but not one to leave things alone, I will kick it up with Frangelico and call them Nutty Irishmen after the drink I do adore.

I used to bake them in a 6" spring form pan but with only 2 pans it would take me days.


Last year I tried something new. I bought 6" cookie tins for $1.00 each at Walmart's and baked the cheesecakes right in the tins. I try to get non religious themes so I do not have to remember who gets which.

It worked perfectly. I can do all 6 at one time, cover them and store them in my shed until I send them out.

They are made the same way a traditional cheesecake is baked.....graham cracker crust and cheesecake. The baking time is different and if you aren't careful they can dry out pretty quickly. I try to bake them around 35 minutes on 300F and then if the wiggle is slight I shut off the oven and let them sit for 1 more hour with the door ajar.
Cover and it's to the shed and I am done.

I have a standard cheesecake formula......For each bar of cream cheese I use 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and 1/4 cup sour cream. Then you add the vanilla, salt, the Kahlua, Frangelico and the Baileys to taste. Once the base is made it is a matter of what tastes good to you. If you want to hold the eggs out after you taste the mixture that's OK too. I think that cheesecake mixtures are pretty much composed of the same ingredients but it is the thickness, creaminess or flavors that define the differences between yours and mine. I find that if I whip the eggs with the cream cheese the texture is fluffier. If I add the eggs in by hand at the end it will be more dense.



Cheesecakes in a Cookie Tin
Makes 6 - 6" cheesecakes
Filling:
* 4 bricks of cream cheese, room temperature (lowfat or regular)
* 4 eggs, beated
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 16oz container of sour cream or 3 cans of Media Crema (in the Spanish isle)
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 2 tablespoon flour
* 1/3 cup baileys
* 1/3 cup Frangelico
* 1/4 cup Kahlua
Crust:
* 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
* 2 tablespoons melted butter
* 4 tablespoons sugar


1. In a standing mixture, place cream cheese, sour cream, salt, extract, and flour and using the paddle attachment, mix until combined.
2. Add liquors, tasting till you like the flavor combo.
3. Remove the bowl and by hand stir in the eggs, thoroughly.
4. In processor mix crumbs, sugar and melted butter until blended.
5. 2 1/3 cup measures of crumbs into each tin. Press with a spoon until even. Do not press too hard.
6. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes, remove and cool.
7. Once cooled, pour, evenly, the cream cheese mixture.
8. Down the oven to 300F and place all 6 tins on rack and bake for 40-45 minutes, checking at 35 minutes.
9. If the jiggles is very slight but still a jiggle, remove them and cool for 1-2 hours.
10. Place the lids on the tins and refrigerate overnight before gifting.

Make sure you make one for yourself.
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :