Wish Upon A Dish: Chicken and Dumplings - Two Ways + a dessert too

January 18, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings - Two Ways + a dessert too



I am not sure what my inspiration was for making my first Chicken and Dumplings. We never had it as kids, it was never requested by a boyfriend or co-worker. There were no blogs back then, only cookbooks.

I do remember I got the recipe from a Weight Watchers Quick Success Cookbook, circa 1987. That was almost 25 years years ago. The same book I got my meatloaf recipe out of. A meatloaf recipe that has stood the test of time.

Same as the chicken and dumplings. I make it the same way every time and it is consistently good. I have tweaked it by adding a smidgen of cream instead of the flour and skim milk and I add mushrooms for a meaty taste feel.

I have always wanted to try the Cracker Barrel-type dumplings which are more pasta/gnocchi like.

They are almost like unfilled pirogi (actually exactly like pirogi dough) but I am not sure how The Nudge would feel. He has always been partial to the fluffy texture of the biscuit-style dumplings I make.

The Nudge votes for biscuit dumplings, so that's what we will have.



Chicken and Dumplings
serves 4 - can be doubled successfully
* 1 tablespoon EVOO
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup slivered red peppers
* 1/2 c diced carrots
* 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
* 1 quart chicken stock
* 1 tablespoon fat-free half and half
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* pepper
* 12 oz cubed cooked chicken
* 1/2 cup frozen peas

Fluffy Dumplings
* 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons buttermilk baking mix or
* 1 cup self-rising cake flour
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 1 tsp herbs de provence

Noodle Dumplings
* 3/4 cup sour cream
* 3 cups AP flour
* 1 egg, beaten

In large bowl make a well in the middle of the flour. Whisk sour cream with egg and pour into well.
With wooden spoon mix until comes together. Will be sticky.
On board with flour, knead dough until smooth. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 minutes.
Roll out to 1/4" and rough cut with a pizza cutter or use a biscuit cutter.
Simmer a pot of salted water and drop noodles into water and boil until the rise to the top. Remove to Chicken mixture.

For Chicken Base:
1. Saute onions, peppers, mushrooms and carrots in oil.
2. Add chicken stock, chicken, cream and peas.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Mix dumpling mixture together and with a spoon, scoop a heaping tablespoon onto the simmering stock.
5. Cover and steam 10 minutes.
6. Serve.



Peak into the pot after the dumplings steam and this is what you see.

I am still getting used to my new camera so a few pictures were blurry and unusable.

I will try got get a good pic at the table.

While I was cleaning the dishes I found a box of pears from Harry & David that someone sent The Nudge over the holiday. Amazingly they were still edible but very soft. Too soft for poaching in wine so I decided to make a Crisp (recipe here). Last time I made one of those, it had to be summer because I used plouts and they are ripe in August.


I admit I made a double batch of topping. That really is the best part, isn't it?
This really is easy, I should make it more often. I do it in the processor but a fork or your fingers would work just as well.


I think that a savory topping with cheese instead of brown sugar would be a wonderful addition to a casserole or a boring vegetable puree. I will have to try it.

It looks good, hope it tastes good, too.


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :