Wish Upon A Dish: No.7 & No.8 of our Top 10 Faves of 2010

January 6, 2011

No.7 & No.8 of our Top 10 Faves of 2010

As you get to the bottom of the list, it gets tougher, I go my way with a dish and The Nudge goes his way.

Finding a like item was hard, but we prevailed and came up with these..........

No.7 - Hamburger
Yes, a burger. A simple grilled burger with tomato and lettuce and sometimes Swiss cheese.
I told you The Nudge is a simple man. Good quality meat and a great bun is really all he wants in a burger.
I like it loaded but when it comes down to it....The Nudge is right....it is all about the meat and the bun.
Easy to please but a PIA to get creative with. I save those dishes for when he is traveling. Keeps the peace in the family.

Now, my turn.....my pic is really not a dish it is an ingredient.
Polenta....
in any shape, form and flavor. I could eat it every night.

No.8 - Polenta
Simple dish.....5 parts salted water to 1 part stone ground polenta/grits.
Maybe add a bay leaf. Simmer, stirring every 5 minutes in the beginning and often towards the 30 minute mark. The longer you cook it the creamier it gets. Can even be baked. I add Parmesan cheese and a pat of butter at the end (just like risotto).

If I had to pick my favorite dish with polenta it would be Shrimp Scampi over Creamy Polenta or Shrimp and grits. The Italians and Southerners do it right.
Grits - Polenta, same stuff just a different color.

Not only is it delicious but it is EXCELLENT for any diet.

No comments :