Wish Upon A Dish: Roasted Tomato Soup and a Grilled Cheese Sandwich

February 8, 2011

Roasted Tomato Soup and a Grilled Cheese Sandwich

On a cold, icy, basically miserable night, nothing hits the spot better than a hot tomato soup and a gooey grilled cheese sandwich.

I know this is one of The Nudge's favorite things, well not the soup, but he would eat a grilled cheese on the nights he isn't eating a hamburger or pizza.


I wanted to use a better cheese than the fat laden American or Muenster, so I looked for a Spanish sheep's milk cheese that was creamy with a slight sharpness to it and a smokey undertone.
I found just what I was looking for in a Zamorano. I shredded about 1oz for each sandwich.



Roasted Cream of Tomato Soup
* One 28-ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* drizzle of olive oil, about 2 teaspoons worth
* 1 1/2 cups reserved tomato juice
* 1 cup vegetable stock
* 1/2 - 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil; set aside.

Drain tomatoes, saving the juices for preparing the soup (you should about 1 1/2 cups reserved). Slice the tomatoes in half and place cut-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and brown sugar. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the preheated oven for one hour. Remove tray from oven and let cool 10 minutes.

Transfer cooled tomatoes to a blender. Add the vegetable stock, reserved tomato juice and blend until smooth. Pour soup into a 2-quart pot and heat until warmed, but not boiling. Stir in the evaporated milk and cook for one more minute.

When I make my grilled cheese I use a panini press but a George Forman would work just as well. I like the crunch it gives the bread. I also use ICBINB spread, but mayonnaise would work as well and a light one is perfect for a diabetic and I do believe 1 tablespoon is a freebie.

Yes, mayonnaise as a spread for grilled cheese. It really works, try it!!

No comments :