Wish Upon A Dish: Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca

March 6, 2011

Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca

The Nudge loves, loves, loves veal saltimbocca. I have made it many different ways from the Italian way (which is on this site) to the way I made it last night using chicken cutlets. The last time I bought veal from the butcher it was tough and I pounded the hell out of it. This time I went with chicken, I am glad I did.

Early in my marriage I would take a piece of prosciutto and a sage leaf, place it on a cutlet, fold it in half, dredge it in flour and saute in butter/EVOO. Then I saw Giada make it with the prosciutto and a sage leaf toothpicked to one side of a cutlet, dredge it in flour and saute it. I didn't like the idea of a toothpick (they can be hard to pull out after the meat shrinks). The last few times I made it the way Lidia Bastianich makes it and it was pretty good because after francesing the chicken (you dip it in beaten egg before sauteing) you basically layer it with prosciutto, wine, lemon juice and Parma curls, then bake it and I could prepare it right up to the point of the oven, then get the pasta water boiling and the spinach sauteing and not feel rushed to get it all done at the same time.

This time when I saw this recipe, I decided to try this technique.

The Nudge pronounced it as good, if not better, than the way he used to get it at Macaroni Grill. It really was good. Moist from the prosciutto wrapped around it, flavorful from the lemon, wine and sage and silky from the butter used to finish the dish with. I served it with sauteed spinach and angel hair pasta.

I will be using this technique from now on. I have found my perfect Saltimbocca recipe.

Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cutlet and 2 tablespoons sauce)
Ingredients
* 4 (4-ounce) chicken cutlets, pounded to 1/4"
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 4 extra large fresh sage leaves plus 2 for garnish
* 2 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 8 thin strips
* 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon butter to finish
* Lemon wedges (optional)

Preparation

1. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt. Place 1 sage leaf on each cutlet; wrap 2 prosciutto slices around each cutlet, securing sage leaves in place.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.

3. Combine broth, lemon juice, and white wine; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add mixture and the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

No comments :