Wish Upon A Dish: Jamaican-Spiced Chicken with Sweet Potato Chips

May 31, 2011

Jamaican-Spiced Chicken with Sweet Potato Chips

I thought I had chicken thighs in the freezer but after defrosting the package I realized it was breast meat medallions.

I like to pre-slice a few breasts into scaloppini before freezing so I can have a quick Piccata or Marsala for dinner.

I will just have to make Jamaican alla Scaloppini. The leftover chicken will be a nice addition to a Caribbean salad later on in the week so I better load up on some mangoes, papayas, red onions and jalapenos.

I was cleaning out my Email box and stumbled on this recipe from MyRecipes.com.
Since I was planning on making healthier yet well spiced foods this summer, I immediately read the reviews and made it our dinner for tonight.
I changed a few ingredients to suit our tastes but the inspiration came from the original recipe.

It is probably one of the easiest dishes to prepare and we all love that, right?

The marinade will also serve as a glaze on pre-nuked sweet potato chips I will grill alongside the chicken and I will reserve a few tablespoons of the marinade before adding it to the chicken, to use as a sauce for some snap peas which I will nuke first.

No oven, no stove, no sweat....my kinda meal.

Jamaican-Spiced Chicken
inspired by Cooking Light
YIELD: 4 servings
Ingredients
* 1/4 cup minced red onion
* 1 tablespoon agave nectar
* 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped
* 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
* 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1/2 tsp galangal (or ginger)
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into medallions
* Cooking spray

Preparation
* 1. Combine first 13 ingredients in a large bowl; add chicken, tossing to coat. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add chicken and grill cook 2 minutes. Turn chicken over; cook 2 minutes more or until done.

Nutritional Information
* Amount per serving
* Calories: 187
* Calories from fat: 27%
* Fat: 5.7g
* Saturated fat: 1.4g
* Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
* Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
* Protein: 27.5g
* Carbohydrate: 5g
* Fiber: 0.5g
* Cholesterol: 115mg
* Iron: 1.6mg
* Sodium: 503mg
* Calcium: 21mg

No comments :