Wish Upon A Dish: At some time I eventually had to make dinner

June 24, 2011

At some time I eventually had to make dinner

Good thing I have leftovers in the fridge.
Last night it was time to finally make my turkey and corn enchiladas. I did have to make the sauce but the chili is leftover from our chili dogs last weekend. Somewhere in that refrigerator there is a container of Ancho Sauce but I have been neglecting to label the containers and I can't seem to find it. I wonder if I froze it? sigh

Drives The Nudge nuts when I send him downstairs to find something in the freezer for me and it's not labeled. I always thought you could just look at a package of frozen chicken and know it's chicken, but for him it isn't as easy as that.
So, even if he is already down there I still won't ask him for a favor unless I know it is something labeled.

Armed with a package of flour tortillas, a container of chili, a bag of frozen corn and a container of sauce all I have to do is grate a ton of Pepper Jack cheese, assemble the enchiladas and bake for 35-40 minutes in the toaster oven.

To make your own Ancho Chili Sauce (takes all of 15 mins of prep and 2 hours to simmer on the stove) click here for recipe.

Black Bean, Corn and Turkey Chili Enchiladas
makes 4 large ones
* 4 Tortilla Factory Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas
* 1 cup Ancho Chili sauce
* 1 1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese, grated
* 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
* 1/2 cup frozen corn
* 1 1/2 cup shredded turkey, rotisserie chicken or leftover chili

In a mixing bowl place 1/2 cup cheese, beans, corn and meat.
Spoon enough sauce to moisten.
Dip each tortilla in ancho sauce and spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture onto tortilla and roll up. Place in a 9x13" baking pan that was sprayed with a release agent and lightly coated with sauce.
Spoon more sauce over filled tortillas and spread remaining cup cheese on top and bake at 350F until cheese is bubbly and browned.
Remove and cool for 15 minutes before serving.

We each had a half an enchilada and a salad of sliced tomatoes, beets on lettuce with a lite bleu dressing. Very filling, healthy and economical.

Now I have 2 cups of chili sauce to play with next week and a cup of pinto beans. I think I see Huevos Rancheros on next week's menu.

No comments :