Wish Upon A Dish: Chocolate Creme Brulee with Toasted Almonds

July 10, 2011

Chocolate Creme Brulee with Toasted Almonds



I was hoping I could coordinate the National Chocolate and Almonds Day with something on my Wish List but the only day I could do it was today.

Slightly late, but I guess, better than never.

I had my first Creme Brulee at Bobby Flay Steak on The Nudge's birthday and we both fell in love with them.
So simple, so good and so easy. Why did I not plan to make one sooner?

Well, two reasons, I do not have a gas broiler and I do not have a torch.

It is time I got one. Like, right now, today, this weekend, yup.


I know that a torch at a Kitchen Store will cost you around $40.00. I went to Home Depot and found this pocket-sized torch for $9.00, a refill canister for $5.00 and was perfectly happy with it. It was exactly what I wanted. It works just like a butane lighter. One fill was enough for 2 brulees.

How often will I need a torch? Probably 2-3x a year.

Now that I had the equipment I needed a good recipe.
If you want something that is perfect, you need to go to Martha. So, I did, and it was.


I let The Nudge do the first one. I knew he would have fun with it.

The recipe said 4 servings, but I got 5 ramekins and only used 1/2 teaspoon of sugar each for the brulee.

Chocolate Creme Brulee
Ingredients

FOR THE CREME BRULEE
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie plus 2 teaspoons granulated cane sugar
* 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (1/2 cup)
* 5 large egg yolks

FOR ASSEMBLING
* 4 tablespoons sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Make the creme brulee: Heat cream and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves and the cream just begins to simmer. Add chocolate, and whisk until melted and smooth.
3. Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons sugar with the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly pour cream mixture into yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Strain custard through a fine sieve.
4. Pour custard into four 4-ounce ramekins. Transfer ramekins to a roasting pan, and fill pan with enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of ramekins.
5. Bake until custards are just set, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Carefully remove from water, and let custards cool.
6. Assemble the cremes brulees: Refrigerate for 1 hour. Top each with 1 tablespoon sugar. Hold a small handheld kitchen torch at a 90-degree angle 3 to 4 inches from surface of custard. Move flame back and forth until surface is caramelized. Alternatively, broil custards on top rack until caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes.

Cook's Note
Baked cremes brulees can be refrigerated overnight. Caramelize tops before serving.


These were yummy, not overly sweet at all and the bittersweet chocolate plays off the sugar wonderfully. As easy as you can get, if I can make these anyone can and using Splenda in the Creme part and only 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar for the Brulee, even us Diabetics can enjoy without worry.

No comments :