Wish Upon A Dish: In honor of National Peach Ice Cream Day & finally mastering my new Cuisinart

July 17, 2011

In honor of National Peach Ice Cream Day & finally mastering my new Cuisinart


I am wrestling with my ice cream maker.

I know that the first time you try something new, it can take a few times to get it right but making ice cream seemed so risk free.

Let's not talk about the first time.

I tried a recipe that wasn't a recommended recipe for my maker and it never got creamy.

The second time I made sure I followed the directions to the "T" and picked a recipe made for my brand maker. I choose a custard based mixture and the recipe said, makes enough for a 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker.
That's what I have.

Everything looked like it was working well, so I add the pureed peaches to the almost frozen ice cream.

So far, so good. It was getting frozen, it was churning and staying creamy so I came back to my desk.

About 10 minutes later The Nudge comes into the room and says..."the ice cream machine is over flowing".

"WHAT??"

"Yeah, come look". "Oh, geez, now what?"

I guess the recipe was wrong. It was making enough for 2 quarts.

I scooped out what was still in the bowl, into 2 plastic quart containers, placed them in the freezer and washed the whole machine, inside and out. It had spilled all over the counter and under the machine.....sigh.

At least it made a really good batch of peach ice cream, just too much of it.

That's not a bad thing, is it? I think the next time I will wait till I scoop out the soft-freeze custard and then fold in the fruits.

Lesson 2 learned the hard way. I really was excited when this batch actually looked like soft-serve ice cream. Whooo Hooo!! I did it.

No stopping me now.

I have fate on my side, isn't the third time always the charm?



Peach Ice Cream
Adapted from Food Network, recipe by Curtis Aikens
makes 1 generous quart

Ingredients
* 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen peaches, peeled if preferred
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons peach brandy
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 4 egg yolks

Directions
1. In a bowl combine peaches, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and peach brandy. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Remove peach mixture from refrigerator and drain juice into a cup. Return peaches to refrigerator.

2. In a saucepan combine 3/4 cup sugar, heavy cream, milk and vanilla. Bring just to a boil.

3. In bowl whisk egg yolks. While whisking stream in about 1/3 of the boiled cream mixture. While whisking cream and sugar mixture, stream in egg and cream mixture. Return to the heat and continue to heat while stirring. Mixture will thicken as it returns to a boil. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl set over ice. Add the reserved peach juice.

4. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. After the ice cream begins to stiffen, when very close to done, add the peaches and continue to freeze until done. Variation: Use fresh raspberries

The Nudge already requested Banana (which are on sale this week), a Sorbet and Vanilla Fudge....LOL

No comments :