Wish Upon A Dish: Toaster Oven Turkey Tetrazzini

August 29, 2011

Toaster Oven Turkey Tetrazzini


Lots of rain, lots of water.

We have 2 pumps working and our neighbor has 4 pumps going.

I have a built-in sump pump but at 7:30 this morning it just could not keep up with the ground water. Even though we are 1000 feet above sea level, we live at the bottom of a huge hill and all that water just flows to us, so a few years ago we bought a submersible pump. I am so glad we invested in that because we have never gotten over 2" of water in our basement since.

I am chained to my house, plugging in the submersible every 15 minutes until the water is gone. Once it stops raining the sump pump should be able to handle the job, I am not relying on that, so going out for dinner in out of the question.

I have a turkey breast in the fridge and am making a turkey tetrazzini in the toaster oven. I have a 5x7 inch Pyrex baker that fits perfectly and will give me 4 servings, so we have lunch for tomorrow. I am hoping I can get out and about tomorrow and run to the store when not many people will be there.
I could not get near it on Friday and wouldn't have tried on Saturday, but I do need cat food and fresh vegetables.

I am making my own take on a tetrazzini. A traditional dish made with a roux-based cream sauce with sherry, mushrooms and turkey pieces. I will make a sauce with ricotta and provolone cheeses, using chicken broth to loosen it up, whole wheat spaghetti (broken into 2" pieces), frozen cooked mushrooms and Parmesan cheese crumbs as the topping.



Toaster Oven Turkey Tetrazzini
serves 4
* handful whole wheat spaghetti, broken into 2" pieces
* 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
* 1/2 cup provolone, grated
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 4-6 oz turkey pieces
* 1/4 cup dry sherry or Marsala wine
* 1/2 cup cooked mushrooms
* 1 shallot, minced
* 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
* 1 cup frozen peas
* pinch nutmeg
* 2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
* salt & pepper to taste
* Olive oil

In saucepan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and saute shallot, mushrooms (if fresh) and turkey pieces until lightly browned on edges. Add sherry to deglaze and pour mixture into a baking dish.

Boil spaghetti pieces until 2 minutes before recommended cooking time. Drain and add to baking dish.

Mix ricotta and provolone in a bowl. Add chicken broth and taste for seasoning.
Adjust salt & pepper.

In another bowl, mix bread crumbs and cheese and moisten with oil.

Add cheese sauce to baking dish and adjust moisture level with more chicken stock. It should be the consistency of pancake batter.

Top with bread crumbs and bake, at 350F, until bubbly and browned on top, about 30-40 minutes.


The Nudge said it was light but very flavorful. This was exactly what I was going for.

Tip: To get the most out of your crumbs with half the oil usually called for, swirl your crumbs in a processor as you slowly pour in the oil.
Each crumb will get evenly coated and you will have used half the oil.
It's a good thing.........

No comments :