Wish Upon A Dish: The Wonders of a Dutch Baby in a cast iron pan

August 15, 2011

The Wonders of a Dutch Baby in a cast iron pan

I love cast iron skillets but the larger ones are too heavy for me to lift so I bought a nice pre-seasoned 8" pan.

I do own the 10 1/2" round griddle, but even that is heavy and I rarely ever use it.

You really need a cast iron skillet to make a Dutch Baby.

I wanted a small one to make individual ones.

Took me a two pancakes to finally nail the right mixture, the right amount, the right heat and the right cooking time.



Dutch Baby Pancake
makes about 3
* 1/4 c. butter
* 1/2 c. flour
* 1 1/2 c. milk
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, optional

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a 8 inch skillet melt butter in the oven 3-4 minutes.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, milk, eggs and salt. Use a beater to beat until smooth (2-3 minutes).
3. Carefully pour scant 3/4 cup of batter into hot pan with melted butter.
4. Bake 15 minutes. It will puff up to form a shell.

Soon as it comes out of the oven, squeeze 1/2 lemon over the bottom and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.

You could also use just syrup or sauteed apples or pears.

I love that this recipe uses a small amount of flour, making it Diabetic Friendly.

No comments :