Wish Upon A Dish: Good Advice for those recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

September 13, 2011

Good Advice for those recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

I think I can recite the GI by heart. Something I knew I would have to do to live a life untethered to a pamphlet or phone App for ordering food out or even buying weekly groceries.

In February of last year, I had to make a decision after spending countless hours on the Internet reading all about Type 2 Diabetes. Two things became clear to me.....I had to NOT listen to diet gurus and find the key FOR ME on lowering my A1C. Also, my goal was to do it without medication. IF you do not have access to a nutritionist specializing in Diabetes, you have to become your own.

I have a huge bottle of 500mg Metformin that sits on my desk. I have not opened it yet, 18 months later. I was told to take one before every meal. It is like that FAT picture many of you have posted on the door of your fridge.

My A1C is down to 107 (from 118) and I have lost 10 pounds (and kept it off).

I have consciously made it my mission to eat less starchy carbs and refined sugars.

I do not feel deprived nor do I get cravings for something I know I should not have.

I, like everyone I talk to with a dietary problem, thought I was eating a good balanced diet. I was so wrong.

I notoriously would miss breakfast except on the weekends when I am with The Nudge and about 3x a week, would skip lunch also.

Nowadays I have a fridge full of Weight Watchers Yogurt, a large container of cut up fresh fruit and sliced turkey breast. No excuses. Yogurt or fruit first thing in the AM, fruit or yogurt around 11:30, and a turkey wrap for lunch (1 slice thick cut oven roasted turkey breast with lettuce and salsa fresca (Wholly Guacamole or Sabra makes good ones). If I get hungry at 3PM, I eat 1/4 cup of honey roasted peanuts and a BIG glass of 4C Light Green Tea (with Splenda).

In the winter when fresh fruit as at a minimum, I will buy containers of red grapefruit sections (with no added sugar) and peaches (also, no added sugar).

When I get the chance to bake my banana bread, I will toast a slice and spread 1 tablespoon low-fat PB on it....yum.

Cereal is out, I am not a cereal person.

I refuse to eat oatmeal but I will make pancakes with the instant packets.

What I am saying is, there are endless possibilities to find something diabetic friendly to eat without resorting to processed packages that say they are good for you. Stay away from the Energy and Granola Bars. Buy Glucerna bars, they are made for Diabetics and taste good too.

If you eat right in the beginning of the day it is easy to eat right at dinner.

I would print out a list of the foods that are in the 50 and lower GI range. Take an hour of your day and check off those foods you know you will enjoy eating.

Prepared to be surprised, there are quite a few of them, and all readily available in every market across the USA.

Take that list with you, where ever you go. Make out your shopping list choosing at least 15 of them each week. The rest will be the bread or pasta/rice.

Now, take the breads and pastas and rice and make them Whole Wheat or even better, make a grain instead, like Quinoa, Bulgar, Barley, or cornmeal (polenta, grits).

If you start with this rough outline, you will eventually not need to refer to that list again. After 6 months of eating this way, I guarantee you next BG reading will be lower, even for those taking medication.

For those who need a more structured diet but want to eat normal foods, by all means, join Weight Watchers Online or for those who want to cut out all carbs, South Beach is the one.

I, personally, find a no carb diet boring and I just won't stick to it.

Take the time to check my other pages, there are downloadable GI, GL and Exchange lists. All to help you get started.

Disclaimer: All products mentioned on this blog are solely my favorites. The companies have no idea who I am and I was not compensated for testing them.

No comments :