Wish Upon A Dish: Cod with Leeks, Tomatoes and Olives

January 6, 2012

Cod with Leeks, Tomatoes and Olives



I slipped off that slippery slope of resolutions by not eating breakfast yesterday and my tummy (and my glucose) let me know that. I ran out the door to grab a few sales, thinking I would eat something at Panera's (I love their Spinach and Artichoke souffle). I tried to tell myself it was because I had no bananas but my body yelled at me anyway. When I finally got home at 3:00, dinner needed to be started and I did so on an empty stomach. No Panera's today. Not good for anybody, least a diabetic.

This morning I was not leaving this house without my Cheerios and no excuse for having only green bananas would stop me. No fruit cereal is better then no cereal.

Tonight I would make a meal to help me get back on track (and I was doing so good....sigh).

I bought a one pound piece of wild caught cod. I would halve it, use one for dinner and freeze the remainder. A simple but tasty dish, the addition of olives gives it a piquant edge that goes well with the blandness of cod. I have been trying to slowly introduce olives into The Nudge's diet but he usually moves them around his plate until I pick and eat everyone of them. Maybe this time will work?

I have seen cod with tomatoes, olives and capers all over the internet (basically a puttanesca sauce) but I like the addition of leeks. I think it lightens up, what can be a heavy sauce, for a better balance with the delicate flavor of the cod (usually puttanesca is served with an assertive fish like tuna).

Any leftovers can be used for cod cakes or for a Spanish Rice.



Cod with Leeks, Tomatoes and Olives
serves 4
Adapted from The Best Simple Recipes - America's Test Kitchen

* 1 pound cod (or any firm white fish like Mahi Mahi)
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced thin (half moons), rinsed
* 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
* 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
* 1 1/3 cups white wine
* 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
* 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
* 1 bay leaf
* salt and pepper

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium neat until shimmering. Cook leeks until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, wine, olives, oregano, bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper ans simmer, covered, until leeks are completely tender, about 10 minutes.

2. Season fillets with salt & pepper. Nestle fillets into sauce and simmer, covered, until fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve.


Review: This dish could have used more spice, herbs or maybe fish stock. I should have squeezed fresh lemon juice over the fillets before serving. A good solid recipe for people who don't like the taste of strong fish. If you schedule this dish when cod goes on sale, this becomes a very inexpensive dish for the great nutritional punch.

No comments :