Wish Upon A Dish: Creamy Corn Chili Con Chicken Carne

February 20, 2012

Creamy Corn Chili Con Chicken Carne



Say that 5x fast.

Why is my timing so bad that I can defrost a bag of cubed cooked chicken to make a chicken chili and I don't have the traditional salsa verde used to flavor it.

Defrosted chicken only waits a day or two the most and this is day two, and I wanted to make a spicy but green style chili without making a trip to the store. Not because I am lazy but because I have a touch of stomach flu and I just wanted a dump and go chili.

I do have a jar of recaito and roasted hatch chilies, but it really cries out for something sour (yes, like a tomatillo). After way too much time Googling, I finally gave up on a sub for the salsa verde and decided to just drop in some pickled jalapenos and lime juice.

I do not have small white beans so I grabbed a can of black-eyed peas, a can of creamed corn, chopped onions and garlic, chopped green chilies, chicken broth, cumin and New Mexico green chili powder.

Turned out with all the little this and thats' I added made this the best chicken chili we have ever had.



* 1 pound chicken meat, leftover or rotisserie
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/4 cup Goya recaito
* 1 quart chicken stock
* 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) beans, small and white
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon New Mexico Hatch chili powder
* 1 teaspoon poultry seasonings
* 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
* 2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapenos
* 1 small can green chilies, chopped
* 5 dashes Emeril's Green pepper hot sauce
* 1 can creamed corn
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* Tortilla chips (optional)

1. Saute onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon canola oil
2. Add recaito and spices and bloom for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add chicken stock, jalapenos, canned chilies, creamed corn, beans and salt & pepper to taste.
Simmer on a low bubble for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes.
4. Add chicken and heat through. Taste for seasonings and add more hot sauce if desired.

Serve with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.






















Pin It

No comments :