Wish Upon A Dish: Creamy Artichoke Tart with a Polenta Crust - the third time better be a winner, I am tired of making this

April 11, 2012

Creamy Artichoke Tart with a Polenta Crust - the third time better be a winner, I am tired of making this

This is my third attempt at making this dish.

While I did throw out the first attempt, the second one ended up on our dinner table to the realization that, that one also should have joined the first one.

I am a good cook, and I can follow directions. I loved the ingredient list, all things I like to eat, so why was this tart a disaster? Not sure but I was not giving up.

This time I am doing it my way. While the original recipe called for cornmeal or "polenta", she should have qualified it to quick cooking cornmeal or 'polenta'. I used instant this time and it came out perfect.

The filling was so unappealing that I also adjusted those ingredients and used Boursin instead of goat and no yogurt, just the two eggs.

I probably should have used frozen chokes or even fresh, because the jarred were too wet and had a sour element to them.
Someone who does not LOVE artichokes would not like this with jarred ones.
It is better served hot and I think this tart would benefit from a cooling overnight and reheating in a hot oven.

A nice addition to a brunch buffet or a light lunch served with a side salad.

Artichoke Tart
makes 1 - 8" tart
Crust:
* 1/4 cup instant polenta
* 1 cup vegetable broth
* 1 cup water
* salt & pepper
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
* 1 egg
* Pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Filling:
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup Boursin cheese
* 6 fresh or frozen artichoke hearts, halved
* 1/2 cup provolone cheese, grated

1. Heat water, broth, salt & pepper in a stockpot until simmering.
2. Slowly pour (so it 'rains') the polenta into the liquid, whisking constantly until it starts to bubble. Switch to a wooden spoon and turn the heat to low.
3. Continue cooking for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover and let it rest in the pan for 10 minutes, stirring 2-3 times more.
4. Add cheese, nutmeg and egg, stirring until thoroughly incorporated.
5. In a prepared tart pan, spoon the cornmeal into the pan work it up the sides and evenly across the bottom, about 3/4" thick.
6. Preheat oven to 375°.
7. Sprinkle the provolone evenly on the crust then arrange hearts around the edge of the tart and pour in the filling.
8. Bake for 25 minutes on the middle rack, turning halfway. After 25 minutes, move the pan to the top rack and bake an additional 7-9 minutes until the filling starts to brown. Remove and cool.

Enjoy!!

Pin It

No comments :