Wish Upon A Dish: Small Bite Desserts - Recipe Redux Challenge June 2012

June 22, 2012

Small Bite Desserts - Recipe Redux Challenge June 2012



The Recipe Redux challenge this month was to make a mini-portion sweet treat.
There were a gazillion ways I could go but experiment, not this month.

I think what the girls over at The Recipe Redux had in mind was taking a full sized dessert and deconstructing it (while also keeping it healthy) so that it is reborn as a single bite rendition.

My business pops this time of year so I was at a disadvantage time wise. I bowed out of last months challenge and I did not want a repeat this month. I needed to think of something healthy and tasty, toot sweet.

I was planning on making a Meyer Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake for this weekend, so I simply divided the recipe into 12 portions and baked them in muffin liners but used yogurt instead of sour cream. I learned a few things.
1. You need to drain your yogurt overnight.
2. You need to use no less then 2% fat (I use 4%), anything less will not set up correctly.
3. You need to add an additional egg white.

I assure you, wallflower they ain't. Perfect for large gatherings, double the recipe and make 24.

I always add the egg product last so I can taste the filling for adjustments. I liked the tang of the yogurt (sour cream is sweeter) and with the sweetness of the cracker crumbs and the blueberry compote on top, the filling was not overly sweet. A perfect companion for the yogurt.
You could really use any fruit for the topping, as long as it will go with lemon, these were very lemony.



Meyer Lemon Yogurt Cheesecake
Makes 12 mini cheesecakes

Crumb Crust:
* 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
* 1/4 cup ICBINB, melted
* 2 tablespoons Palm Sugar

Filling:
* 1 (8oz) brick 1/3 less fat Philadelphia cream cheese, room temp
* 1/3 cup 2% fat Greek yogurt (I used 4% because that is what I buy)
* 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white or 2/3 cup Egg Beaters
* 2 teaspoon flour
* 1/2 cup Meyer Lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons), regular lemons will work also
* 1 tablespoon zest from squeezed lemons
* 1/2 cup honey
* pinch of salt

Blueberry Topping:
* 1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
* 1/4 cup water and honey
* pinch of salt and cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Combine crust ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoon of mixture into each muffin liner and tamp down with your fingers.
Bake at 325° for 7 minutes. Remove and cool.

Meanwhile, in a processor, blend yogurt, cream cheese, flour, salt, lemon juice and zest until smooth. Remove mixture to a bowl and add honey. Taste for sweetness and adjust to your preference. Every lemon has different levels of tartness and sweetness.

Add eggs and whisk until incorporated. Using a 2oz ice cream scoop fill each liner with one scoop and repeat until all liners are evenly filled.

Turn oven down to 300° and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filling is set but still moves slightly when shaken. Remove to cool.

Simmer berries, water and honey until the berries pop. Use a slotted spoon to remove berries, add cinnamon, salt and lemon juice and simmer until thick and syrupy, about 20 minutes.



Store compote in a plastic container, refrigerate until ready to serve. Add 1 spoonful to each cheesecake.



















Follow Me on Pinterest



3 comments :

Unknown said...

Hi! My name is Ashley and I'm interning with the Meal Makeover Moms this week. Thank you for your words of advice with this recipe, especially with the yogurt. Looks like a great ReDux!

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

Oh wow - I'm so glad you participated this month 'cause these look so so good! And very helpful tips too

Molly Jones said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe! These look SO good, I love blueberries especially with cheesecake! :)

Molly Jones
Intern for ReganMillerJones, Inc.