Wish Upon A Dish: Chicken Cutlets Served Over Polenta Cakes w/Creamy Mushroom Provolone Sauce

July 19, 2012

Chicken Cutlets Served Over Polenta Cakes w/Creamy Mushroom Provolone Sauce



Yes, it was as good as the description.

You can find the Creamy Mushroom Provolone Sauce on my sister site, Pass the Sauce.
This post is about the Stone Ground Polenta Cakes.

Two things, I always add honey to my polenta water and I don't stir it constantly.
My polenta is perfect every time.

I have tried the baked technique and it works fine....if you want your polenta to stay loose (like in shrimp and grits). I needed this polenta to be dry so I could form cakes.

Usually I pour the cooked polenta into a small brownie-sized aluminum pan, cover and cool. Once hard I cut into squares or rectangles and then fry or grill.
This time I decided to use my 4" tart pans to make 3 cakes.
This recipe was perfect for 3 so if you need 6, just double the amounts. The ratio for firm polenta is 1 part dry to 4 parts liquid.

Stone Ground White Polenta Cakes
makes 3 (4") cakes

* 1/3 stone ground corn
* 1 cup water
* 1/3 cup milk
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Boil salted water in a small saucepan and stream the polenta in as you stir with a wooden spoon.
Season with salt, pepper and honey.
When mixture becomes thickened, cover, lower heat to lowest setting and cook.
Every 15 minutes stir the polenta until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan.
Add milk and butter and bring the mixture back up to a bubble. Turn the heat off, cover the pan and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Stir and pour into pan(s) to set.
Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until 30 minutes before dinner.

In a non-stick frying pan, coat bottom with canola oil and fry, on high heat, each polenta cake until the edges brown, about 15 minutes. Remove to a platter and keep warm in an oven.

No comments :