Wish Upon A Dish: Philadelphia Cream Cheese Pulled Pork Pirogi ♥ Yummy in the Tummy

August 30, 2012

Philadelphia Cream Cheese Pulled Pork Pirogi ♥ Yummy in the Tummy


I love pulled pork but a whole shoulder is a huge amount so I have to make sure to plan at least three meals + lunches. After portioning the meat into freezer bags, I always over-estimate and there is much more.

First meal after slow roasting then smoking on the grill was BBQ sandwiches.
Second round went into a stuffing for two dozen pirogi. Third round was used in homemade scrapple (post to come). The fourth round is still in the freezer.

I make these several times a year and each time I try to vary the stuffing. Yes, I make the traditional potato varieties, but this time I wanted something different. These pierogies use cream cheese in the dough and their new cooking sauce in the filling.


They came out so good, I entered this recipe in a contest that the Women of Philly was running.
Normally you would boil like ravioli than add butter to a pan, onions or mushrooms and saute until golden.

This time I cooked these as I would pot stickers. In hot oil I place the pierogi in the pan and when the bottoms get golden brown I add 1/4 cup water, cover tightly and steam for 5 minutes or until the water is gone. In a large saute pan, I added butter, onions and sauteed until golden.

Finally, right before serving, top with a  dollop sour cream. Only way to eat these as far as I am concerned.

Roasted Pork, Mashed Potato and Garlic Cream Pirogi
Makes 24 pirogi

Dough
* 2 cups AP flour
* 1 large egg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup (4oz) Philadelphia Cream Cheese
* 1/4 cup butter

Filling
* 3/4 cup mashed potatoes
* 1/2 cup ground roasted pork
* 3 tablespoons Philadelphia Garlic Cooking Cream
* salt & pepper

In the bowl of a processor place all the ingredients for the dough and process until it becomes a ball. Remove, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.

Using a pasta roller, Kitchen Aid roller attachment or wooden pastry roller, roll 1/2 the dough to 1/8" thick sheets. Place on a floured dish towel until done.
Using a 3" or 4" cookie cutter, cut out circles from the dough, re-rolling the scraps till all used (should make 24 easily).

In another bowl, mix the ingredients for the filling. Using a medium (2oz) ice cream scoop, place one scoop of the filling into the middle of one circle of dough.
Press the edges together, wetting the edges if needed to seal securely. Sprinkle flour onto a sheet of foil and place the pirogi side by side in two row of six, then cover with wax paper and line up the other dozen in the same way on top of the wax paper. Seal the foil and refrigerate for up to three days.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :