Wish Upon A Dish: Extreme Budget, Day Eight - Soupreme Monday's Ham & Corn Chowder

November 24, 2012

Extreme Budget, Day Eight - Soupreme Monday's Ham & Corn Chowder


This meal cost me next to nothing. Everything needed was already in my pantry. I told you I had an awesome pantry. (please, forgive the really bad pic, it should have been a white bowl but I was hungry)

I am a fan of chowders. The creamy, thick ones and the brothy versions, they are all good.
Corn and ham go well together, so I chose to crack open a DAK canned ham and use it in three different dishes. I have a chunk of canned ham left to use and I could not think of a better way to use it.
I am making it pretty traditional. Corn, ham, potatoes, onions and milk (evaporated, that is) and broth.

I just happen to have a batch of homemade rolls from the Lactose-free Recipe Contest to round out the meal. Nothing budget tasting about any of this. Anyone would love a dinner with this homemade bounty.


If you did not want to use ham, you could substitute clams, another great partner of corn and a bargain this time of year. Leave it out and keep in simple. Add other vegetables like red peppers, green beans, broccoli or maybe some cheddar or Parmesan. This is the perfect conduit for using up leftovers.

Ham & Corn Chowder
makes 2 servings
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 can Mexicorn, drained
* 1/4" thick slice of ham
* 1/4 cup chopped onions
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
* 1 chicken boullion cube
* 2 cups water
* 1 tablespoon Romano cheese
* 5 peewee potatoes, diced
* parsley for garnish

1. Saute onions in olive oil until tender. Add corn and ham. Cook for 3 minutes.
2. Add flour and stir to incorporate. Cook 1 minute and whisk in milk and water.
3. Simmer until liquid bubbles. Add bouillon cube and potatoes.
4. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cheese.


Cost for this meal: $.10
1/4 cup chopped onions - $ .10


Running total for 8 days: $18.85

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :