Wish Upon A Dish: T-day Side - Maple Ginger-Roasted Vegetables w/Walnuts

November 22, 2012

T-day Side - Maple Ginger-Roasted Vegetables w/Walnuts

This Thanksgiving I have lots more to be thankful for then most years past. Sandy has touched just about everyone here in the Tri-State area and we will become that story of "remember whens" except it will be our grandchildren telling the story to their kids. While we were one of the lucky ones who still has a roof over our heads, it still had a resounding affect on how we go about our daily routines.
Instead of twice a month drop off of food to the local pantry, I have been going and plan on going, every Monday.

So, with that said, I want to wish everyone the best Thanksgiving they can possible have and to hug those around you and keep them close. 

This is a side dish I am contributing to our dinner today. Since I am the Queen of Vegetables in my family, my share of T-day diner is, you guessed it, vegetables.
The last few years I would try three or four new recipes and then everyone would tell which they like the best.
This year because we all decided we had way too many sides (and we all do, don't we?), I would do one vegetable dish and the rolls.

This vegetable dish was picked from a Food & Wine newsletter that so conveniently arrived in my mailbox last week (which with the storm may have been 2 weeks ago). It was a mélange of vegetables roasted in a ginger-maple sauce topped with roasted walnuts. Well it called for pecans but I already had walnuts and they are basically the same, aren't they? (please don't hate me those in the south and in Texas, I try to please all)

I chose it because of two very important features. It can be left at room temperature for two hours before serving (which my hostess will truly appreciate being she has only one oven), and any vegetable could be substituted for the ones your family would love to eat.

My family, luckily, loves all the ones in the original, so this was a no-brainer. Sort of the way my mind is working lately. I am still playing catch-up and this was such an easy-may-come recipe.

This is an appropriate covered dish to bring to a, well, a covered dish event. 
Yes, The Nudge always says I am a smart-ass. I like to think of it as a smarty with a nice ass.
We just won't tell him.

I am sorry I could not post this sooner (I had post commitments that had to come first) but with all that left-over turkey, this can still be made for round 2.

Maple Ginger-Roasted Vegetables with Pecans
Serves 12
* 1 1/2 cups walnuts or pecans
* 4 medium carrots (3/4 pound), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the bias
* 2 large parsnips (1 pound), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the bias 
* 1 medium head cauliflower (2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch florets 
* 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds)—peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice 
* 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved 
* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil 
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger 
* 1/3 cup pure maple syrup 

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Spread the pecans in a pie plate and toast until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Let cool. 
2. In a large bowl, toss the carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, squash and brussels sprouts with the olive oil and nutmeg and season generously with salt and black pepper. Spread the vegetables on 2 large rimmed baking sheets and roast for 30 minutes, until the vegetables begin to brown. Scatter the pecans and ginger over the vegetables and drizzle with the maple syrup; toss well. Continue to roast the vegetables for 25 minutes longer, until they are tender and golden. Scrape the vegetables into a bowl and serve hot or at room temperature.

Can be served at room temperature up to two hours.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :