Wish Upon A Dish: Soupreme Monday's Barley, Lentil and Sausage Soup

February 28, 2013

Soupreme Monday's Barley, Lentil and Sausage Soup



"Soup is good food".
Genius, no?

I wanted to school at Pratt Institute in NYC but my parents spent my college money on a trip to Hawaii. Might have been a waste of money anyways, I am no where near as creative as the chap who came up with that saying. Campbell's built an empire around that one line. Soup can heal all that ails you.

Saturday I was allowed a "ME" day and was "ordered" to eat and drink what I wanted (or didn't want) and just relax. Hmmmm, I wonder what he wants?
Whatever it is, he can have it. A day off from cooking was exactly what the doctor prescribed. I recommend a ME day for everyone. I woke up the next morning ready to cook up a storm and got so much work done. I was even allowed to sleep late and got coffee in bed. Weeee Yo!!

Hmmm, nothing yet. He has to be up to something. Ahhhhh, I figured it out.

Why was The Nudge in such a generous mood? I was in a food rut and he is well aware that while in a rut, he gets fed poorly. No matter how much we eat, drink, sleep and breath food, we all get into those times when we are tired of food. It only lasts a few days, but it feels crappy. One can only eat hot dogs and PB&J sandwiches but a few times before they crave a good comfort meal.

First recipe on the menu is this hearty healthy savory soup that I spotted over at Better Homes & Gardens.
What caught my eye was the barley (a great grain for diabetics), the lentils (have been looking for a vehicle for French Puy lentils I had), the chicken sausage and spinach. I did not have to buy a thing, my pantry came through once again.

Just so happens it's been 10° below average temps for this time of year and a warm bowl of soup will be well received. I have dinner rolls that just have to be toasted and dinner is served. Since prep was minimum, this dish came together in under 1 hour. Most of it gently simmering away on it's own with an occasional stir. I would say this recipe makes a good candidate for your slow cooker. A nice dish to come home to. If lentils are not your cup of tea, I can recommend a canned small white bean and can even vouch for black eyed peas.
This reminds me a take on Carrabba's Lentil and Sausage Soup with barley.

As my rut was slowly disappearing into the sunset, The Nudge grabbed his handkerchief and blew his nose. I smiled and I felt back to normal. Nice to be appreciated.

"Ahhhh, you missed my cooking that much dear?" "No, honey, the soup is just making my nose run".

Lentil-Toasted Barley Soup with Sausage
Adapted from bhg.com
serves 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 cup regular barley 
* 1 cup chopped onion (1 large) 
* 3/4 cup chopped carrots  
* 2 cloves garlic, minced 
* 2 teaspoons teaspoons ground cumin 
* 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth  
* 1 cup water 
* 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and drained 
* 1 bay leaf 
* 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained   
* 6 ounces cooked chicken-apple sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced  
* 4 cups fresh baby spinach
 
Directions
1. In a 3- to 4-quart saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add barley; cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until barley is golden. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; cook about 10 minutes or just until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin; cook and stir for 30 seconds more.
2. Add broth, the water, lentils, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 55 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes and sausage; heat through. Remove and discard bay leaf.
3. Add spinach, stirring until spinach begins to wilt. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Lentil-Toasted Barley Soup with Sausage)
  • Servings Per Recipe 6,
  • cal. (kcal) 245,
  • Fat, total (g) 7,
  • chol. (mg) 32,
  • sat. fat (g) 2,
  • carb. (g) 33,
  • Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
  • fiber (g) 10,
  • sugar (g) 5,
  • pro. (g) 14,
  • vit. A (IU) 4859,
  • vit. C (mg) 15,
  • Thiamin (mg) 0,
  • Riboflavin (mg) 0,
  • Niacin (mg) 3,
  • Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
  • Folate (µg) 165,
  • Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
  • sodium (mg) 645,
  • Potassium (mg) 440,
  • calcium (mg) 81,
  • iron (mg) 4,
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :