Wish Upon A Dish: Banana Pancakes

March 18, 2013

Banana Pancakes


You do not want to know how long it has taken me to make edible pancakes of any kind that The Nudge will eat. There is a long list of types he won't sanction and these include......

Whole Wheat
Buckwheat
Oatbran
Pumpkin
Cornmeal
Tofu

.........to name a few.

He's completely happy with basic Aunt Jamima's boxed buttermilk pancakes. I am not.
Pancakes require a baker's mentality. I am baker impaired.

About 2 years ago, by mistake, I made a batch of banana pancakes that were great but I never wrote the recipe down and have been trying since then to duplicate. With no success.

I wanted them to be healthy, fluffy, light and flavorful not lead laden pasty flour tasting bombs. Mine are definitely more from the latter arena. 
I tried a large grill pan with both grill and flat top. The pan was not the problem.
I tried the technique of whipping and folding the eggs whites, they deflated.
I finally threw up my arms and surrendered. I bought a box mix but they tasted like cardboard. It has been a while since I attempted pancakes again.

Last week was the day to try again. I felt renewed and this time going with bananas for flavor. Everyone loves bananas, right?
The Nudge took one mouthful and spit it into his napkin. OMG, they were so bad.
What the bleep was I doing wrong?

Maybe the bananas made the batter too dense? They weren't ripe enough? I have seen 2 ingredient banana pancakes all over the net, if they work why won't mine?

Like I said, I am not a baker and the ingredients must be perfectly measured. How do you measure a banana? I found that most recipes only say small or medium, they don't give a weight. Also, the eggs. I always buy local organic extra large eggs and they are huge. 1 medium egg is 1/4 cup so two of mine equals 2/3 cup which make a difference. I decided to use Gerber Infant Bananas and one container is 3.5oz.
I was half way there.
To make up for the larger amount of eggs I reduced the milk but used skim to replace the thickness of the pureed bananas.
Sweet perfection, these were what should have been in the making for over three years now.

Banana Pancakes
makes (8) 6" or (12) 4" pancakes
Adapted from 4 separate recipes on the net

* 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off 
* 2 tablespoons sugar 
* 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder 
* 1/2 teaspoon salt 
* 1 (3.5oz) container Gerber pureed bananas
* 1 cup skim milk 
* 2/3 cup eggs (2 XL, 3 small or Egg Beaters)
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter substitute, melted

In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In another bowl mix all the wet ingredients together.
Fold the batter gently with a rubber spatula until just blended; do not over-mix. The batter will be thick and the lumps about the size of peas.
Spray a non stick pan with butter flavored spray and drop a ladle full of batter into heated pan. Cook over medium heat until little holes appear on the edged of the pancake. Flip over and cook for 2 minutes more.
On a sheet pan that is in a 200° warming oven, place the pancakes on the sheet pan when done.
Serve with sliced bananas and your favorite sugar free syrup or maple syrup.


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :