Wish Upon A Dish: Cobb Salad

March 5, 2013

Cobb Salad


While researching the original Cobb salad dressing I stumbled on a few tidbits about the history of this dish.
It seems that the really famous dishes were mostly named after the chefs that developed them, except for the Cobb. It was developed and named after the owner of the original Brown Derby in LA.
I said a few and tidbit.

I think that the new craze, the Chopped Salad, is a riff on the Cobb but because they could not serve it with the ingredients laid out side by side on top of the lettuce, they just mixed all of them together. Personally, from someone who is not a stickler on perfect presentation, I think the Cobb does look so much neater and appealing. Chopped salads are messy from start to finish.
Oh poo, just put me out of my misery right now. Upon serving a Cobb the salad is tossed and all that beautiful work is gone. Even I eat a Cobb neatly. Taking a forkful of a little of this and a little of that but leaving the rows as neat as I can. I am actually a very neat eater. You won't find any trails of poached egg yolk on my plate.

Now, if I add or subtract something to a Cobb does it become a Cobbie, Cobbless or maybe a Hobbled  Cobble? Do you think anyone would mind if I dropped in a thin line of toasted walnut pieces? If they do, maybe I will just make concentric lines of the avocado, eggs, turkey, bacon, blue cheese, tomatoes and call it a CobbWeb.

Cobb Salad
makes 2 servings (doubles well)

* 2 cups chopped Boston lettuce
* 2 cups romaine lettuce
* 1 medium tomato, large dice
* 1/2 avocado, diced (same other half for fajitas)
* 2 ounces turkey or chicken meat, diced
* 1 ounce blue cheese
* 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
* 4 slices prosciutto, julienned
* 2 teaspoons fried onions for garnish (optional)

Dressing:
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons each water & olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

or
2 tablespoons Good Seasons prepared dressing

1. Chill 2 oval plates or gratins. Julienne lettuce and spread evenly on bottom of plate.
2. Starting down the middle with the chicken meat, make a straight ribbon from side to side.
3. Then work down one side with the tomatoes the blue cheese and the prosciutto.
4. On the other side lay down a line of avocado, toasted walnut pieces and eggs.
5. Serve with dressing on the side.




















Day two nutrition label. Sangria add 120 calories. This was a very lean day. There is room to add extra vegetables in the Cobb Salad.



















Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :