Wish Upon A Dish: Festive Fettuccine with Shrimp, Peas and Walnut Sauce

March 26, 2013

Festive Fettuccine with Shrimp, Peas and Walnut Sauce



You would think that a man married for 30+ years has finally figured out the reason why there are 1000+ pasta shapes, and every time I ask him which pasta he would like with a certain recipe he picks the right one.

NOT

The Nudge is a simple man. He likes a few things and that's what he likes.

OK, for instance. Short pasta...."those ones that look like a pen".
Baked Cheese Macaroni.....elbows.
Thick sauces.....spaghetti.
Meat sauces......rigatoni.

THE END

Then I say "no way am I using elbow macaroni in this dish" to which he always replies "then just make the one you want, I will eat anything you serve me".
"So why don't you just tell me to use the one I think will be the best shape for the dish?"
"Because I keep hoping that maybe ONE time I would actually get the one I asked for!"

You know, now that I think about it, I am the one that should know better after 30+ years of marriage.
Today I have stopped asking and just made fettuccine. Also, he got his spaghetti the other night.

I resolve this problem with the comforting thought that this goes on in just about every house in America.
At least I hope it does..........

Festive Fettuccine with Shrimp and Walnut Sauce
makes 2 servings
* 2 teaspoons each nut oil and whipped butter
* 1/2 ounce walnut pieces
* 1/2 pound shelled and deveined shrimp
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
* 1/4 cup low fat ricotta cheese
* 1 1/2 cups cooked fettuccine (5 ounces dry)
* 1/2 cup frozen peas
* 2 tablespoons each grated Parmesan and sliced scallions
* 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley

1. In 10" skillet heat oil and butter together until the mix is hot and bubbly; add walnuts and saute until they start to brown but do not burn (do not take that phone call, they will burn in a second). Using a slotted spoon remove them to a bowl and set aside.
2. In same pan combine shrimp and garlic and saute until shrimp turn pink. Reduce heat to low; stir in milk and cheese and let simmer, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add fettuccine, grated cheese, sauteed walnuts and scallion. Toss well until pasta is thoroughly coated with sauce, continue cooking until mixture thickens slightly, 1-2 minutes longer. Serve sprinkled with parsley.




















Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :