Wish Upon A Dish: Mexican Pasta Salad

March 15, 2013

Mexican Pasta Salad


I am so looking forward to Spring.
I developed this salad of simple ingredients with bright flavors, fresh ingredients and a hint of heat because I just needed something to liven up my mouth.

Sinfully simple it can be bumped up with the addition of beans or vegetables but I wanted what would amount to a Pico de Gallo Pasta Salad. As a matter of fact if I was pressed for time I would have bought a fresh deli pico and started with that.

A wonderful side to a plain turkey sandwich or a grilled chicken breast, make plenty it will keep well. Great for the office, just add a can of tuna.

One, must do step, is to roast the jalapeno (or serano) pepper but leave the green and red peppers raw.
I was inspired by how much The Nudge flipped over my fresh green pepper salsa I made for these, so much so he mentioned it again the next day.

One thing I have learned in 30+ years of marriage as I am sure have many mom's of picky eaters, find what works and repeat it, often.

Mexican Pasta Salad
makes 2 servings (about 1 cup each)
* 1 1/2 cups cooked small soup shells or elbow macaroni (3/4 cup dry)
* 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
* 1/4 cup each diced onion and red or green bell peppers (I used both)(poblanos are also good)
* 1 medium roasted jalapeno, seeded, deveined and minced
* 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 small clove garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 1/2 teaspoons each red wine vinegar and lime juice
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon oregano
* Dash black pepper

Corn, beans or avocado can be added but in small amounts and only right before serving (do not store with the salad).

1. Set jalapeno on baking sheet lined with foil and broil 3" from heat source, turning frequently, until charred on all sides. Let it cool to handle. Peel pepper; remove and discard seeds and veins and mince.
2. In large bowl combine all ingredients and toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

No comments :