Wish Upon A Dish: 30 Minute St. Louis Style Pizza, Promise!

July 19, 2013

30 Minute St. Louis Style Pizza, Promise!

I have made tons of pizzas over the years, most of them on the grill.

The last few times I did not have great success. Since Kingsford reworked their coals, I can no longer keep them lit for any extended time like I used too. We are thin crust people, and thin is in, but on the grill, thin doesn't work all that well. New and improved?? Bull......

To grill over coals, you have to pre-grill one side of the dough, flip it over, put the ingredients on the cooked side and set the pizza over the side of the grill with no coals, close the lid and bake the pizza. While a great way to do it, most times, by the time I get all that done the coals have lost half their heat so the cheese is not totally melted and the pizzas never browned around the edges the way we like it and if I leave it on longer, the bottom get overdone and hard as a bread stick. Now, The Nudge will eat it like that, but I like some chew in my crust. The other problem has been to time the rise for when The Nudge walks through the door. This cooking technique requires perfect timing, not easy to do on a week night

Within the same week, Diners, Dive-Ins and Dives and Cook's Country both showcased a St. Louis style pizza where the crust is yeastless and as thin as a cracker but still has a nice chew to it.
Last night I was in no mood to cook and not leaving myself with enough time to defrost anything (I think on purpose), I pulled up the recipe and got to work. Pillsbury sent me a gift of a pizza pan and this was the perfect chance to test it out.

THIS WAS THE BEST PIZZA I HAVE EVER MADE. Hands down. In 30 minutes from scratch to table.
The Nudge couldn't eat it fast enough and he suggested we do this Every Friday Night!!!
Weeeee Yoooo!! I agree. I can not say it enough. MAKE THIS PIZZA.......TONIGHT!!!!
It was that good but most of all, it was extremely easy and foolproof.

If you have always been scared to work with a yeast dough, this recipe is for you. The dough is made in the food processor or stand mixer and you could even use a wooden spoon and bowl. Easy to roll to a 1/4", you can roll it out an hour or two before you need to make it.
So while you heat the oven, you dress the crust and in 10-15 minutes dinner is served.
I kid you not. While I made mine with this sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves, you can dress your pizza with any toppings your family wants.
I am planning on making this recipe over at my SIL's house when this heat wave, waves goodbye. I know she will make this often, cooking for one.

I used half a recipe and that was enough for the two of us, but a full recipe makes one large or two medium pizzas, so you can make two different ones and bake them together.

St. Louis Pizza Crust
makes 1 (24") or 2 (14") pizza crusts

* 2 cups AP flour
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Mix the dry ingredients and add the olive oil and the 1/2 cup water. Take a small piece of dough and press it between two fingers. If it comes together without crumbling, no need to add the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. If it is crumbly, add 1 tablespoon, mix and feel it again. Repeat until the dough sticks together when pressed but does not stick to your fingers.

2. Place the dough on a board or place and invert a bowl over it. Let it rest for a few minutes, while the oven pre-heats. Can also be refrigerated up to 3 days.

Please, try this just once. I guarantee that will be the first and not the last time.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :