Wish Upon A Dish: You Say Hollandaise, I Say Bearnaise

August 20, 2013

You Say Hollandaise, I Say Bearnaise



I have been celebrating my birthday a certain way since I was twenty-one.
I pick a food or dish I have never eaten and find a place that is their specialty.

Best thing is, I have knocked more than 35 items off my Wish List this way.

Things were going well, until I hit this year and could not think of anything I wanted.
Yes, I hit the proverbial food wall. I seriously tossed sushi around but did not want to waste a whole special day in NYC on a food I might not like at all and then have no reservations in a city that changes restaurants faster than I could drink a martini. Dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe was NOT an option.

So, what's a foodie birthday girl to do about dinner? Make all her favorites in one meal.
My version of Surf 'n Turf......Scallops, Steak, Spinach Soufflé, and a Banana Split (yes, all "S" foods, yes, my name begins with an "S" and yes, this is my life).

I spotted huge dry packed scallops at WF and already had a steak in the freezer. Bernaise sauce has it's origins in a Hollandaise sauce and since Bearnaise Sauce is often served with steak, it was a no brainer. Yummy Yay!! This might just be an occurring dinner for some time to come.
I know Ina Garten has a fail-proof easy way to make a Bearnaise sauce. She's my go to gal when it comes to easy French sauces.
I might even make it for The Nudge's birthday dinner next year. Now, if I can just get him to make the banana split, I could check another wish off my list.


Easy Bearnaise Sauce
Adapted from Ina Garten
makes 6 servings

* 1/4 cup Champagne or white wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup good white wine
* 2 tablespoons minced shallots
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves, divided
* Kosher salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 3 extra-large egg yolks*
* 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
Put the Champagne vinegar, white wine, shallots, 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is reduced to a few tablespoons. Cool slightly.

Place the cooled mixture with the egg yolks and 1 teaspoon salt in the jar of a blender and blend for 30 seconds. With blender on, slowly pour the hot butter through the opening in the lid. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of tarragon leaves and blend only for a second. If the sauce is too thick, add a tablespoon of white wine to thin. Keep at room temperature until serving.

No comments :