Wish Upon A Dish: Individual Quiche Lorraines ♥ Cooking for Two

December 19, 2013

Individual Quiche Lorraines ♥ Cooking for Two


I have had this recipe bookmarked for the last 3 years, soon after I bought Thomas Keller's Bouchon.
If you thought you had a decent quiche recipe, you are wrong.
So simple but so decadent, this was not one of his famously 'attention to detail' recipes he is known for publishing.
I suppose this was why I chose this recipe for my second from this book. The first was the mustard sauce for a wonderful seafood tower that I replicated a few years back. Unfortunately we were not impressed with that sauce, so like most other cookbooks that have lived the same fate as his, I gave it not another go 'round, until today.

When I think of a great quiche, I think of classically trained French chefs and since my cookbook shelves have but only two of them (Julia and Keller), I pulled down the Father of all French cookbooks.

This time he did not disappoint. The first bite was met with a "omg, this is sooooo good". Something all of us cooks strive for with each attempt at perfection. I have to admit, the custard was light but creamy, the flavor components did not overwhelm the egg to cream ratio and the crust, while mine, was the perfect counterpart to the sweet cream interior.

Right after I fell in love with his version of quiche, I bought a 12" pastry ring but after serious contemplation, I tucked it away, never to make an appearance again. What was I thinking? A 4" thick quiche, 12" in diameter, for two?!?!

I pulled out my mini spring form pans, released the bottoms and, voila! A 4" pastry ring. Now that is something I could definitely live with.

I was given permission to make these again and for me, that's the best compliment I could ask for.

Individual Quiche Lorraine
makes 2

Custard:
* 3 large eggs
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 cup milk
* 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
* 2 ounces Comte cheese, shredded
* Salt & pepper to taste

Crust: 
* 4 ounces AP flour
* 2 ounces cream cheese
* 2 ounces unsalted butter

Pulse crust ingredients in a food processor until it starts to come together. Remove to a piece of plastic wrap, press into a disk and refrigerate until ready to use, at least 1 hour.

Divide into two pieces and roll each one out into an 8" circle.
Remove the bottom of the springform pan and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Gently press the dough evenly into and around the pan and line with foil or parchment. Pour pie weights or beans into each pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and bake another 10 minutes or until the edges are browned. Remove to cool completely.

In a blender or processor, thoroughly mix the custard. Add half the bacon and half the cheese to the bottom of each crust. Cover with the custard and repeat, ending with cheese.

Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the mixture just jiggles slightly. Remove, cool and serve at room temperature.

I served a garden salad on the side, but roasted asparagus would be nice.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :