Wish Upon A Dish: Brown Rice Risotto With Shrimp, Corn & Edamame ♥ Week Two, Day Six - EatingWell Meal Plan

April 7, 2014

Brown Rice Risotto With Shrimp, Corn & Edamame ♥ Week Two, Day Six - EatingWell Meal Plan

I have a confession to make. Oh, I could have just posted the recipe with this pic and no one would know better....except me. The recipe used instant brown rice. I dislike instant rice, period.

There is no place in a risotto using anything instant. My Italian just refused to even allow me to think about risotto and instant rice in the same breath.
That rules out an honest opinion on the original recipe from eatingwell.com, but I did make this with brown Basmati rice, using the traditional cooking method and it was excellent. Yup, you heard me, not a short grain rice but long grain rice. The Nudge didn't know there was a difference and I was not going to tell him.

If you would like to know a few fun facts about rice as it pertains to diabetes, read on. if not, skip the next paragraph...............

Let me explain something about rice when it comes to nutrition and starch.
1. A diabetic would be better off eating converted rice because converted means parboiled. The process turns the starch into a resistant starch which does not break down as quickly as regular rice, therefor the Glycemic Index is lower on parboiled (aka; converted) rice.
2. Yes, you can buy converted brown rice but so far I have found it only on Amazon.
3. Rice and pasta are pretty much the same on the GI and the whole grain version of each is the best way to buy them.
4. If you do not like the taste of brown rice or the time it takes to cook it properly, converted is the next best kind to buy. Plus, converted cooks quick so no need for instant.

OK, I am done. So, since risotto takes time to cook, brown rice makes absolutely perfect sense. Oh, btw, they do sell brown Arborio rice if you are a fan of the traditional risotto rice.

I hope I have cleared up all the confusion about rice and diabetes. Now, on to the vegetables.

We do not eat much edamame in this house and I find that if I par-boil them in salted water and squeeze off the outer skin (like fava beans), they cook well and still stay firm. If I don't boil them, they just never get tender enough for my liking. Yes, I can be very fussy when it comes to my vegetables. I like them perfectly cooked.

The last of my confessions are that I used canned shoepeg corn. I like the crunch. Yea, I know. No crunch with the edamame but yes crunch with the corn.

Basically add what type corn or edamame you prefer, it will be wonderful any way you make this, except of course, with instant rice....lol

If you would like to view this recipe as written plus all the other ones and the shopping lists, click here.

Brown Rice Risotto with Shrimp, Corn & Edamame
Makes: 4 servings

* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/2 small sweet onion, chopped or 3 scallions, sliced
* 1 cup Brown Basmati Rice
* 1 cup white wine
* 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 pound peeled, deveined and sliced horizontally raw shrimp (preferably USA wild caught)
* 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
* 1 cup corn, frozen or canned
* 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into small pieces
* 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and rice; stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook on medium-high heat until most of it is evaporated, 2 minutes. Add broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring every five minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed into the rice. Stir in edamame, corn and cream cheese until the cream cheese is incorporated.
2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet prepared with a release agent (olive oil preferred), heat on high for 3 minutes and saute the shrimp until the edges start to crisp. Remove and add to the rice. Remove from the heat to stir in the cheese and pepper. Top with scallion greens (optional) and serve.

Per serving: 525 calories; 1g fat (6g sat, 5g mono); 173mg cholesterol; 49g carbohydrate; 0g added sugars; 32g protein; 5g fiber; 716mg sodium; 672mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Folate (37% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv).

My Diabetic Recommendation: If you can find brown Basmati rice I suggest you buy a nice sized bag and sub for every regular rice dish you cook. Not a fan of brown rice, make a batch of 1/2 bulgur, 1/2 converted rice cooked in low-sodium stock.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :