Wish Upon A Dish: Collard Green & Chorizo Frittata ♥ Treasured Cookware - Recipe Redux Challenge April 2014

April 21, 2014

Collard Green & Chorizo Frittata ♥ Treasured Cookware - Recipe Redux Challenge April 2014


When you reach my age, my cooking utensils will inevitably become someone else's treasures. I moved into my first place when I was 21 and I started my single life with all new everything. My mom was on her own and took all her cooking implements with her and my Dad, well he was not much of a cook.

There are a few kitchen tools that I bought 35 years ago that I still use every day. My stainless steel pots and pans, my box grater and one (and my only) cast iron fry pan. When you are single and only cook for one or two, the 8" is the perfect size for eggs or an omelet.

What I did discover as I married a man who loved eggs for dinner, a great way to make a really good frittata. That cast iron pan was perfect. Not only did it fit into a toaster oven, it was the perfect size for two servings.

This was probably in the top 3 frittata recipes I have prepared so far, although there is no bad frittata.
I am all about eggs with meat and vegetables with cheese. They are easy, inexpensive, an excellent user of leftovers and a one pot wonder.
What's not to love?

Yes, I added an ingredient and subbed out another. Why? Because I could and it added no extra non-no's and a whole bunch of okays. I had a small container of really good fresh salsa and instead of hash browns I used cut spaghetti for the crust.


So while The Nudge was away, and I needed a quick healthy meal for one, I immediately thought of a frittata.

Not your usual frittata, which can contain a hash brown base, I like to use leftover macaroni and Mac 'n Cheese would be my first pick but this time I had cut spaghetti's.

I took one bite and almost ate the whole frittata, I had to stop myself, I kept cutting a slice and then another and then I realized half was gone, it was that good. The chorizo gives it a spicy feel, not hot spicy, just a full flavored spice and a great counterpart to the creamy eggs and the fresh greens. I will post the recipe as was written but will add the subs at the end. Either way, spaghetti or hash browns, this is one good meal.


While the original recipe calls for 7 whole eggs, I used 3 yolks and 1 cup of egg whites. I mixed in the chopped greens and put the pan on the fire.

Once the pan was hot I added the scallions, the salsa and a splash of water. Press the pasta into the pan and when the liquid has all evaporated, add the chorizo and the Parmesan, cover and lower the heat to melt the cheese. The melted cheese will act as a binder for the crust.

Pour over the egg and greens mixture and place in the oven to set the eggs.
Once the eggs are set, turn the oven to broil and brown the top.
Can be eaten hot or at room temp.
If you are not a collard fan, or just don't have the time to cook them down, the canned version will work, just make sure to squeeze all the water out. Swiss chard was used in the original recipe but spinach makes a great substitute.

Chard & Chorizo Frittata
Inspiration from eatingwell.com with ingredients from my fridge
Makes: 4 servings

EatingWell: Frittatas are the ultimate no-fuss dinner, and that's why we love them for busy weeknights. In this one, we saute earthy chard, chorizo and hash browns in the pan before adding the eggs. The broiler finishes cooking the eggs and turns the top of the frittata a lovely golden brown.

* 7 large eggs
* 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
* 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 4 cups chopped chard (1 small bunch)
* 1/2 cup finely diced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
* 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns

1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
2. Whisk eggs, scallions, cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet (or broiler-safe nonstick skillet) over medium-high heat. Add chard and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring frequently, until the chard is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in hash browns. Pat the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and evenly spread to the edges. Cook over medium-high heat, lifting around the edges with a heatproof spatula to allow uncooked egg to flow under, until set around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler until the top is cooked and the eggs are slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
5. To release the frittata from the pan, run the spatula around the edges, then underneath, until you can slide or lift it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.

Per serving: 384 calories; 24g fat (8g sat, 12g mono); 345mg cholesterol; 22g carbohydrate; 0g added sugars; 20g protein; 3g fiber; 683mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (57% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv).

My Diabetic Recommendations: Pasta too many carbs?...make a crust using quinoa & Parmesan cheese and bake for 15 minutes to set, then continue with the recipe.

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment :

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon said...

I love that you substituted lots of egg whites! Thanks for a great frittata idea. Maybe I will try this out for dinner this evening since I have a lot of kale to eat up.