Wish Upon A Dish: Flounder Florentine

August 25, 2014

Flounder Florentine



Those days that I shop and complete my list are long gone.

Sad thing is, I was looking for a splurge I allow myself in the frozen foods aisle, Stouffer's Spinach Souffle. It's a sad day when the discontinued item on my list is something I pride myself in NOT allowing to take up space in my pantry, even if it is a vegetable.
But really? Who doesn't love a vegetable souffle and the free time letting someone else whip egg whites?
I suppose I could blame it on the food gods. Never heard of them? It would be the equivalent to an evil kitchen witch. I am being tortured for my indulgence.

In times of abundant wealth (at least a minimum 3 packages of Stouffer's in the freezer) I would pop open a box, nuke the interior for 10 minutes and wrap a flounder fillet around it. Make a sauce of white wine, butter, garlic and lemon to bake them in and a great, easy and pretty healthy dinner is ready. All in under 30 minutes.

Sigh.............

When I saw flounder on sale it never dawned on me that a walk down aisle 10 would make me regret my impulse buy. I mean, we've done the Piccata, the browned butter, the wrapped in prosciutto and potato, the baked in milk, baked with crab cake stuffing, baked with any kind of stuffing and it was time for a Florentine, or so I thought.


I hate it when a plan goes south. Since The Nudge was looking forward to a spinach stuffing I made a batch of Bulgar pilaf and will use that as the grain to a package of baby spinach. It would have to do. No, it had to do, I forgot to buy eggs.

Flounder Florentine
makes 4 roll-ups

* 4 flounder fillet, wild caught & local please
* 1 cup cooked Bulgar or rice pilaf (I had Near East)
* 1 small bag baby spinach, cooked, squeezed dry and chopped
* 1 shallot, minced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons mascarpone
* 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
* 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato tapanade
* 1 tablespoon butter sub (I like ICBINB)
* Adobo
* smoked paprika
* salt & pepper
* Juice of one lemon
* Hollandaise Sauce

1. Saute Shallot and garlic in olive oil.
2. Add spinach and cover. Cook until spinach just wilts and remove cover to evaporate liquid.
3. Remove to a board and chop.
4. Add to a bowl with the pilaf, mascarpone, Romano cheese and tapanade.
5. Place flounder with skin side up and evenly spread all the stuffing amongst each fillet.
6. Roll up starting with the smallest end; Place seam side down in a baking pan. Repeat.
Dot the tops with butter sub, adobo and paprika. Pour a 1/4 cup white wine or water in the bottom and place in the over, uncovered.
7. Roast for 30 minutes in a 400° oven, or until the flounder just starts to crack on the top.

Place one fillet on each plate and spoon the sauce on top.

Follow Me On Pinterest

No comments :