Wish Upon A Dish: Mediterranean Olive Oil Poached Swordfish

October 20, 2014

Mediterranean Olive Oil Poached Swordfish


I have this weird thing I do in the supermarket. I can't stop myself from checking out the seafood, even when I have trout, flounder and cod in my freezer.

So that could only mean two things, The Nudge is traveling and I am hopping they have swordfish.

I love when a plan comes together. I'm OK that it's frozen, I actually prefer the ones shrink wrapped and frozen. I got lucky with a piece with no bloodline that was pink and perfect. And on sale!!!!

Starting the day he left for Chicago a huge storm stretching from Canada to the Panhandle finally made it's way east. While it's only raining on and off today, there is too much 'on' to grill so that left me two options. Sear or roast. But wait, there was another way. I remember a method not used much here in the US but all over the Mediterranean. Olive oil poached fish. It is best used on firm fish, such as tuna, salmon, halibut and swordfish. No, I have never poached anything in olive oil, but I have slow roasted white beans the French way and tomatoes in the Italian way.

Yes, I am having herb infused olive oil poached white beans with my swordfish. Why use two pans when one will do? Why dirty two pans when you are doing the dishes?  Get it? Good.
First you need to season your fish and bring it to room temperature. I used my herb sea salt.
Next, preheat the oven to 250° and pour at least 1" of olive oil in a straight sided oven ready pan (I used my small cast iron, it was perfect).

Poached the beans before cooking the fish. Yes, they were canned beans, but rinsed and drained well. Next I add two smashed cloves of garlic, a spring of rosemary, oregano, thyme and sage to the oil and a half a small shallot. When the oil reaches 120° add the beans and return the pan to the oven for 15 minutes. Move the beans over and carefully slide the fish into the oil. Remember, it's very hot.

I covered mine for the last 10 minutes but it only took 30 minutes to cook. While the fish poached, I made a sauce of tomatoes, oil-cured olives, capers and a minced clove of garlic, salt & pepper along with a pinch of red pepper flakes for character. I will add the beans to the sauce and spoon it over my fish.

One of my best swordfish meals and I am not just saying that because I like my cooking.
Healthy, low fat, low carb (if any) and diapropriate.

Mediterranean Swordfish

* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1/2 cup white beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 small shallot, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
* 5 canned San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
* 6 black oil cured olives, pitted and finely chopped
* 1 tablespoons capers
* 1 swordfish steak, about 4 ounces
* salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 250°. Fill a cast iron pan with olive oil and herbs.
2. When oil registers 120° remove the herbs and add the beans. Braise for 15 minutes.
3. Carefully slide the fish into the oil and return to the oven. Poach for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the fish to a plate and in a bowl, add the beans, the shallot, garlic, olives, capers and tomatoes. Stir to combine and taste for seasoning.
5. Spoon the beans over the fish and serve.

No comments :