Wish Upon A Dish: Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash Soup ♥ Cocozia Original Coconut Water Review

November 3, 2014

Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash Soup ♥ Cocozia Original Coconut Water Review


Do you believe in fate? I do because I am a fatalist. Isn't as bad as it sounds. It means that I believe 'if it's meant to be, it will'. I also think that there is a reason for everything and luck is a reason.

Case in point. My Dad recently suffered a non-debilitating stroke, a TIA.
Thinking it was because he slipped in his diet and went back to old ways, I was surprised to find out that his potassium at the time was at a life threatening level.
I had no idea. Here I thought he was eating his banana and Cheerios, spinach 4x a week, etc.
What I did not know that I do now, is Potassium (an electrolyte) is a very important mineral to the human body.
Right after I educated my Dad on why potassium was so important in his diet, the Cocozia Company  asked if I would be interested in reviewing their product. I was more than happy to do so.
Can't find Cocoziain your neck of the woods? I ordered mine through Amazon and it arrived in 3 days. So no excuses, right?

See, fate. This was my chance to test a product that if approved, could stock my Dads pantry shelf (shelf live of 1 year +) and with a few other adjustments, be assured he was getting all the potassium his body and blood needed to work at optimum performance.

You get out of your food, what you put into it, or literally, use inferior ingredients, get inferior flavor.
Cocozia is the best tasting coconut water I have ever used, so, while most people carry their coconut water where they exercise, mine is in my pantry.
I am happy when I can honestly report that coconut water is excellent for diabetics, people who have elevated blood pressure and a good addition to a recipe anywhere liquid is called for.

In my family, the cooler weather meant soup and making one homemade is not only easy but can be consistently healthy, very filling and economical. My SIL gives us a homegrown butternut squash every year and while it can sit in a cool place for a few months, I prefer to at least roast the flesh, feed the squirrels with the peels and seeds and freeze what I do not immediately consume.

Apple and butternut squash soup does freeze well and whatever doesn't end up in a soup bowl, will make an excellent sauce for pasta. I think my Dad will enjoy this and once he finds out I used my slow cooker, he will love it even more.


Such a perfect soup, it fits all the diets known to man & then a few.
Squashes are very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium and Magnesium, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese.

Unfortunately butternut squash has no fiber (really, right?) so that is where the apple comes into play but you must leave the skins on. Apples are also very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium but is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber.
I used unsweetened almond milk for a creamy taste and the coconut water for additional sweetness.
Not only is this soup full of flavor, it is loaded with nutrition, one just has to love the thought of that.

As is, this soup is Vegan and there are a few additions if you would like this to be more substantial. Most are Vegan but a few are not. They include toasted pepitas, ground sausage, ricotta cheese, curry, sour cream, frizzled shallots and even banana chips. I will toast pepitas and drizzle butternut squash seed oil on top. The pepitas took it to another level and the crunch was a wonderful texture to the silky soup.

Hope you enjoy it!!


Roasted Butternut and Apple Soup
makes 4 cups

Roasted Vegetables:
* 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
* 1/2 small red onion, chopped
* salt & pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
* Olive oil
* 1 apple, skin on, chopped
* 2 whole large garlic cloves (or 3 medium), peeled

1. Heat oven to 425°. Place all ingredients in a large plastic food bag and close the top. Shake vigorously until all the vegetables are coated with oil and seasonings. What clings is all it needs so they never get overly oily, it's a good thing. Place on a sheet pan and spread evenly.
2. Roast for 40 minutes until the edges start to brown.

Soup:
* 1 batch roasted vegetables
* 16 oz Cocozia Coconut Water (original flavor)
* 11 oz. container soy or almond milk, unsweetened

1. Place roasted vegetables in a slow cooker, add Cocozia Coconut Water and soy/almond milk.
Set on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
2. Make sure soup is cooled before pureeing. Use an immersion or stand blender and puree until smooth.

Two things:
If you want a completely smooth soup, press through a strainer but remember that you sacrifice some fiber. Lately "rustic" is all the rage, mainly because cooks are busy and less steps means less work.
I prefer a smooth soup so strain is my aim.

Get a look at the nutritionals, they are out of this world wonderful!!!

I like to think of myself as Alton Brown thinks of his tools.
Multi-tasker. If I make something that produces leftovers, they best be useful in many applications.
I am loving this coconut water. I have already made bean soup, curry sauce, hot chocolate, iced tea and this soup. My Dad will be so happy and sooo healthy.

Thank you Cocozia!!
















Disclaimer: While I was supplied with the product for review, the recipe and positive opinion is all mine.
 
Wish Upon A Dish

No comments :