Wish Upon A Dish: 200 Calorie Breakfast Quesadilla

February 23, 2015

200 Calorie Breakfast Quesadilla


I am sure you heard that some of the greatest discoveries are made by accident and it’s no exception when it comes to food.
You haven't? I have to assume you have heard of yogurt, Popsicles, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, corn flakes, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream cones and raisins? And that's just to name a few.
I also firmly believe quite a few were also created due to laziness (raises hand).
I couldn't get any lazier than with this breakfast dish I made last week. It turned out so good that I have made one every morning (including Sunday) for a week.

While I have the luxury of working at home and can cook my breakfast every day, this breakfast quesadilla is so versatile, it can be made ahead, frozen and nuked. Make enough for a week.

I have done the research on the best tasting healthiest ingredients so you don't have too.

You will need to buy Louis Rich Turkey Bacon and if you can't find that brand, Perdue is the next best.
Laughing Cow Original Creamy Swiss Cheese
La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber 6" Tortilla
Egg Beaters
Pure Cooking Spray with Natural Butter Flavor by Mazola

You will need:
A 8" non-stick skillet
A lid that fits the skillet

There is no recipe just a technique, so...
Let's get cooking.


Heat the skillet on high heat while you slice two pieces of turkey bacon into thin strips. Spray the pan with the Mazola and saute the bacon until it starts to brown.


When the bacon is crisp, add 1/3 cup egg beaters. Once it starts to set around the edges....


 ....add a slice of Swiss (or 1oz other) or open 1 wedge and spread on one side of a tortilla. Cover the egg mixture with the tortilla, cheese side down.


Spray the top of the tortilla with the cooking spray, and when you press on the top and no uncooked egg squishes out, loosen the bottom and flip the quesadilla over.


Cover again for 1-2 minutes to heat the tortilla to achieve some color.


When the eggs puff, fold the quesadilla in half. It will settle, just like an omelet, in the time it takes to plate it.


At this point it can be served with some grapes or citrus segments. I am an egg & ketchup gal but in a pinch I have been known to sneak in salsa. Add the condiment of choice right before you flip the eggs over.

To freeze, it must be completely cooled. Wrap in wax paper and place in the freezer.
To heat, nuke for 90 seconds. If still cold in the center, nuke for 30 seconds more. Additional packets will heat for 2 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave. Wrap in a napkin and eat on the go.

I think these are just as good (if not better) than any flat bread breakfast sandwich you can buy.

Substitutions:
Sausage instead of bacon, I like Jimmy Dean's turkey patties.

You can sub any wedge cheese you like. I do believe Weight Watchers has them as well. Not into those wedge cheeses (they can be expensive), a slice of Swiss cheese will do fine.
Jarlsberg has the most punch for the dollar.Not into either....a Canadian bacon or low sodium ham is also a great choice, just cut them into bite-sized pieces.

I had some creamed spinach left from dinner and my version will include that for a vegetarian option.

I made one for hubby while he was working from home this week and he was surprised it was that good. When I told him how low the calorie count was, he told me, pack up a few for me to take to work.

 
























While it might take a few tries to get it just right, it doesn't have to be perfect. It will taste great any way it comes out of the pan.



No comments :