Wish Upon A Dish: Korean Chicken Noodle Bowl ♥ Two For One - Recipe ReDux Challenge March 2015

March 21, 2015

Korean Chicken Noodle Bowl ♥ Two For One - Recipe ReDux Challenge March 2015


I have been enamored of Korean cooking since I watched my first Korean food show on TV and made Kalbi.
I am so enamored of Asian food in general, I have more cookbooks in my house than any other cuisine except Italian.

I do not get the chance to cook many Asian dishes because my better half does not share my love.
Lately, because he has no choice (he either eats or starves) he has enjoyed Kalbi (Korean BBQ short ribs), dumplings, a very authentic Orange Chicken, some fried rice and Korean Fried Chicken (the best ever). Yes, I know. Not all that impressive.

Tonight I twisted his arm and we ate Korean Ramen Bowl for dinner. Probably not the most authentic but as close as I could get. I even ordered foods from Hmart.com.

The recipe I adapted this meal from called for all vegetables but when this month's Recipe ReDux challenge was to cook one dinner to make another, I put a roaster on the menu and the leftovers made it into this noodle bowl. I also used the carrots and the spinach from a salad. Yum for us and more free fridge space for me.

Most noodle bowls call for raw vegetables but I quickly blanched a few in the broth. The Nudge might not have enjoyed his if I did not do that.

Ramen Noodle Bowl
makes 4 bowls
Broth:
* 1 carton (4 cups) good quality chicken stock
* 1" nob of ginger
* 5 whole medium garlic cloves
* 1/2 medium onion, sliced
* 1 tablespoon red miso or Korean soybean paste (daenjang)
* 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
* black pepper
* 1 cup kimchi, chopped with juice (I found mine with the wonton and egg roll wrappers)

Accompaniments:
2 cooked chicken breasts, sliced (leftover from a roast)
2 packages ramen noodles
1 package Shiitake mushrooms, sliced (sauteed)
Dozen carrot slices, julienned (also leftover from a roast)
2 big handfuls of pea pods, sliced (blanched)
4 handfuls of baby spinach
4 - 6 minute eggs
2 scallions, sliced
Big handful of bean sprouts (blanched)
Kochujang (Chili pepper paste)

1. Fill a large stockpot with the stock, 2 cups water, ginger, onions and garlic. Simmer for 20 minutes while you saute the carrots and mushrooms and cook the ramen noodles in salted boiling water.
2. After 20 minutes, strain the broth and return it to the stockpot, return to a simmer.
3. Blanch the pea pods for 2 minutes, skim into a bowl. Blanch the bean spouts and remove to another bowl. To the broth add the kimchi, soy sauce and miso and stir to blend.
Place each vegetable in a bowl. Slice the eggs in half and season with chili flakes or paprika.

To serve:
Fill a serving bowl with ramen noodles. Place the meat in the middle (optional, if serving), and place a large spoonful of the vegetables around the edges and the eggs on the vegetables. Spoon a dollop of chili paste over the meat, some scallions and serve.

This was so good and extremely flavorful. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did it matter? Not one bit. Best leftover dinner no matter which way you plan it out.
My next show? scallion and mung bean pancakes.



   

   

1 comment :

Farrah said...

<3 <3 <3 korean food!! I haven't ever tried making a noodle bowl, but I really need to! This looks amazing!