Wish Upon A Dish: 70 Calorie Hashbrowns ♥ Perfect Poached Egg Perch

October 15, 2015

70 Calorie Hashbrowns ♥ Perfect Poached Egg Perch


Hash Browns.....oh, my

On a diet? You betcha!

If I had a choice between a piece of toast or a crispy potato raft to put my poached egg on top of, the raft would win hands down.

I bought a 5lb bag of russets to test a recipe for America's Test Kitchen which only required 2 pounds and needed to use up the remaining 3 pounds.
I did some research and found that 2 3/4 oz of shredded potatoes were only 70 calories, so I shredded three potatoes and using a large top from a dry roasted peanuts container, I halfway fried 5 potato pancakes and placed them in the freezer. When I want one, I heat up the toaster oven and as I would bread, toast them for 8 minutes, yes, from their frozen state.

Here's my thinking.....
I can buy a thin sliced bread with 45 calories per slice with a minute amount of nutritional value or eat one 4 1/2" potato pancake at 70 calories that is loaded with potassium, fiber, Vitamin C & B-6, magnesium and iron.

First I sprinkle Adobe on the shredded potatoes, weigh out 2.7oz, load up a 4" baking ring with the shreds, spray a non-stick frying pan with a butter flavored release agent and cook them for 4 minutes per side.
I can top them with eggs, with salsa and guacamole or with Feta and Tzatziki sauce. All excellent choices for breakfast or lunch.

Tonight I ate one with a Swiss Cheese Egg Beater Omelet. Dinner was very filling, tasty and only 190 calories.



No comments :