Wish Upon A Dish: Bacon Beer Braised (BBB) Mussels & Clams

April 11, 2016

Bacon Beer Braised (BBB) Mussels & Clams


For many years I have followed Tasting Table.
Never heard of them?
Well, Tasting Table is a digital media company focused on food and drink. The brand’s website and email newsletter report on food and drink trends in the categories of dining, wine, cocktails, cooking and food travel and they have great recipes.
Their app is free and while some recipes are not suitable for my diet at this time, I do find ones that I can adjust while maintaining the original focus.

This recipe was one of them and so good, I just had to snap a pic and write a post.
Best part? I ended up with 2 cups of steaming liquid which I am using later this week in a Black Bean Pasta and Shrimp dish.

I have made many different versions of mussels and clams in my lifetime, but this moved to the front of the line. So much different than the traditional wine, garlic and lemon version, it is my opinion that this steaming broth was the original foundation of Belgium's Moules Frites. 
 

OK, so originally I was looking to steam a bag of clams but I refused to pay the $20 and instead added a ($5.00) 4 pound bag of wild Maine mussels to a dozen small neck clams.

I must confess there was only empty shells when I cleared the table.
This was so FREAKING good and even easier.
Make this as soon as you can and in the summer, place your pan on your grill to add a smoky component.
So excellent with clams and mussels.

Let's get cooking.....

Bacon Beer Braised Mussels & Clams
makes 2 generous servings

* 2 strips bacon finely chopped
* 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* dozen small neck clams, scrubbed
* 1 bag fresh mussels
* 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
* 1 can lager beer
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
* 2 scallions, green and white parts thinly sliced

1. Heat large dutch oven or everyday pan. Add the bacon and saute until the edges start to crisp.
Add the shallot and garlic and saute until they soften.
2. Add the beer and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
3. Add the cleaned clams and mussels and tightly cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until all the shells have opened.
4. Spoon the shellfish into a large platter. Add the vinegar and butter to the broth and gently pour over the fish. Sprinkle with the scallions and bring to the table.

Serve with crusty bread or whole wheat angel hair pasta.

Enjoy!!




No comments :