Wish Upon A Dish: Secret Surprise Chocolate Bundt Cake ♥ Baking for Two

March 19, 2017

Secret Surprise Chocolate Bundt Cake ♥ Baking for Two



I suppose telling you I subscribe to Smitten Kitchen would be tantamount to confessing that I love food.
No surprise there. Actually she was the first blog to introduce me to blogging, way back in 2009.

I recently saw a mention on her blog about this famous chocolate cake made with a secret ingredient (mayonnaise) about the same time as I was just about to open my Cooking for Two cookbook to see if they had a pixie-sized decadent chocolate cake.

Yes, mayonnaise. Don't knock it. I grew up on that cake, it was superior! I had completely forgot about it.
Thanks Deb!!!


I decided to try to marry the mayonnaise part with the ingredient list of the Cooking for Two chocolate cake recipe.
I have to say the first try was pretty darn good, and it disappeared in two days.
I knew I heard a leprechaun, I think his name was Dave!

I love when something comes together quickly since I confess I waited until the last minute.
I wanted to flavor it all with Irish Mist and I wanted it in time for a St.Patty's Day treat.

This recipe makes enough for two small layer cakes or one small 6" bundt. You can get a really nice frosting here that you might want to halve.

If you decide to make the bundt style, you will want a pan that serves 4 (Nordic makes a nice 6 cup sturdy one). I happened to luck out with a clearance sale on an aluminum one but I know you can get one made of silicon. 

Irish Mist Chocolate Bundt Cake 
4 servings


Preheat oven to 350°.

* 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
* 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso pr instant coffee powder
* 1/2 cup Irish Mist (or water), boiling
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz) all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar or low sugar baking blend equal to 1/2 cup (mine is 1/4 cup)
* 1 large egg, room temperature
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise

Whipped cream, whipped topping or powdered sugar glaze flavored with Irish Mist.

Prepare the pan with release spray. Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for 25 minutes for two round cake pans or 30 minutes for a bundt pan.

No comments :